Juanita: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Juanita
Origin of the name Juanita:
Feminine form of Juan, the Spanish form of John (God is gracious), which is from the Middle Latin Johannes, an evolution of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Joannes. Joannes is from the Greek Iōannes, a derivative of the Hebrew Yehanan, a short form of Yehohanan, which is from yehōhānān (Yahweh is gracious).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Juanita? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Juanita
- Comments and insights on the name Juanita: | Edit
Spanish usage: Juanita is a nickname for Juana and Sanjuana.
- Personal experiences with the name Juanita: | Edit
Juanita isn't a very common name in Australia, so spelling/pronouncing mistakes are common. I found the easiest tip for people was to say "How do you spell/pronounce 'marijuana'"? Never had a problem since.
- Nicknames for Juanita: | Edit
Nita and Juanis
- Meanings and history of the name Juanita: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Juanita: | Edit
- Juanita in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Juanita" (also known as "Nita, Juanita"), American folk song
"Wanita" or "Juanita", 1923 Al Jolson hit song
"Juanita", 1956 hit song by Chuck Willis