Julie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Julie:
French cognate of Julia (downy-bearded, youth), which has been in common use in the English-speaking world since the 1920s.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Julie? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Julie
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Czech Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Czech Republic
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway for 2012
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Julie
- Comments and insights on the name Julie: | Edit
Julie is a beautiful, classic, gentle, popular baby girl name that is always a great choice for a daughter's name. Pronounced Joo-lee.
- Personal experiences with the name Julie: | Edit
One of my best friends in the entire world's name is Julie (not short for anything, actually Julie). I have known only two other Julies my entire life personally. I absolutely love her name, it is utterly magnificent and gorgeous. She is a visually stunning girl -- literally. And her middle name coupled with her first name sounds absolutely dazzling. This name is perfection. It will always remind me of my great friend, who I love very much, and who is extraordinarily sweet and ALWAYS fun. =)
My sister's name is Julie and I love it. I'm pregnant with twin girls and I plan to name them Scarlett and Juliet, shorting it to Julie in her honor.
I have always loved my name. I didn't know any Julie's growing up. It wasn't until high school that I met three more. My mother said she named me after an actress, so I had ambitions of becoming one some day. Well, I had acting success in junior high, high school, and college....but I never hit the "big-time"! It is very interesting that after reading about the life work of Julie's listed on this site, I had much in common with them all.
- Nicknames for Julie: | Edit
Jewels, Jules, Juls, Jul-Bug, Jae, Jewel, Ju, Ju-Ju, Ju-Ju-Bean, Big Liar, Ju-lay-lay, Julie-Bird, Julep. Julius, Juwie, Julie Dooley,
- Meanings and history of the name Julie: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Julie".
Downy. French form of Julia. Also can be a feminine form of Julian: Youthful. Jove's child.
- Famous real-life people named Julie: | Edit
Julie Bowen, American actress
Julie Benz, American actress
Julie Andrews, English actress
Julie Harris, American actress
Julie Walters, English actress
Julie Kavner, American actress
Julie Chen, American news anchor
Julie Johnston, US Women's National Team Player
Julie Coin, a French professional tennis player
- Julie in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Julie & Julia", bestselling autobiographical book by Julie Powell
"Oh Julie," song by The Crescendos
"Julie of the Wolves," children's book by Jean Craighead George
"Miss Julie," play written by August Strindberg
"Julie Through the Glass," song by Carly Simon
"Hey Julie," song by Fountains of Wayne
"Julie, Do You Love Me," song by Bobby Sherman
"When Julie Comes Around", song by the Cuff Links
Julie Teeger, character in American comedy-drama detective mystery television series "Monk". She is the daughter of the character Natalie Teeger, and is portrayed by actress Emmy Clarke.
Julie Marsden, character in the 1938 movie Jezebel
Julie Cooper, character on the 70s sitcom One Day at a Time
Julie McCoy, cruise director on popular 70s-80s TV show The Love Boat
Julie Carp, British ITV soap opera, Coronation Street
Julie Haye, BBC soap opera EastEnders
Julie Albright, American Girl