Juliet Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Juliet:
English form of the French Juliette, which is a diminutive form of Julie (downy-bearded, youth). The name is borne by the heroine of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, a famous tragedy about star-crossed lovers.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Juliet? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Juliet
Contribute your knowledge to the name Juliet
- Comments and insights on the name Juliet: | Edit
Juliet is J in the NATO phonetic alphabet
One of my all-time favorite girl-girl twin combos is Juliet Frances and Margaret Rose.
- Personal experiences with the name Juliet: | Edit
I'm having twin girls and We intend to name them Juliet Michelle and Scarlett Eleanor after the books and the Beatles songs, Literary First Names, Musical Middle Names
I named my daughter Juliet and even now that she is 2, I am still so in love with her name. Not only was it my mom's name, it is so beautiful and feminine. We call her Jules a lot as well. I get so many comments on her name - there are the few "Where's Romeo?" comments but it's not bad. I love that it is not very common but so classic.
My 4-year-old is named Juliet Grace. She is my 5th child and I love her name so much. We call her Jet, and I like that she can have a “cute” nickname when she’s younger and then a formal name for when she is older. We were debating on the spelling but I am so glad we went with Juliet instead of Juliette.
- Nicknames for Juliet: | Edit
- Jet (a contraction of the beginning and ending sounds, my daughter adores her nickname), also Jett or Jette
- Little J
- Ju Ju Bee
- Ju (pronounced "jue")
- J (pronounced "juh") ;)
- Juliet - but saying it like it's a Spanish
name. Similar to Juan. Pronounced
- Meanings and history of the name Juliet: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Juliet: | Edit
- Juliet Simms: American singer featured on the singing competition "The Voice" in 2012
- Juliet Prowse: South African dancer
- Juliet Huddy: American journalist
- Juliet Landau: American actress
- Juliet Stevenson: British actress, who starred in the film "Truly, Madly Deeply", amongst many other things.
- Juliette Lewis: Academy Award- and Golden Globe-nominated American actress and singer. She has starred in movies such as "Cape Fear," "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," "Natural Born Killers," "The Evening Star," and "From Dusk Till Dawn."
- Juliet in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Juliet Capulet: Heroine of Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet".
- Juliet Burke: A character on the TV series "Lost".
- Juliet O'Hara: A detective for the Santa Barbara Police on the TV series "Psych".
- Juliet "Jules" Paxton: a central character in the movie "Bend It Like Beckham" played by Keira Knightley.
- Juliet: character in the film "Love Actually" played by Keira Knightley.
- "Juliet of the Spirits": A 1965 surrealist drama directed by Federico Fellini.
- "Letters to Juliet": A 2010 movie starring Amanda Seyfried, Chris Egan, Vanessa Redgrave, Gael García Bernal, and Franco Nero.
- "Juliet Of The Spirits": A song by The B-52s.
- "Check Yes Juliet": A song by the band We the Kings.
- "Love Story": A song by Taylor Swift features a Juliet as the protagonist.
- Juliette Silverton a character in the tv show Grimm.
-The song "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon features the name Juliet in their song lyrics.