Kara: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Kara | Girls
Origin of the name Kara:
Derived from the Italian cara (beloved, dear), which is from the Latin carus (beloved, dear).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Kara? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Kara
- Comments and insights on the name Kara: | Edit
Kara - Meaning: Sweet melody. Origin: Irish
Meaning: One who is pure. Origin: Greek
- Personal experiences with the name Kara: | Edit
Hilarious little tid-bit from the Scott family... Kara is now Joe's #1 pick for a little girl... BECAUSE of Super Girl. He's quite the comic afficionado.
- Nicknames for Kara: | Edit
Kare-bear, Kara-beara, Ker
- Meanings and history of the name Kara: | Edit
Sometimes considered a derivative of Katherine, Greek in origin, meaning "pure." Also means "empty" in Japanese such as in karate 'empty hand' and karaoke 'empty orchestra'.
- Famous real-life people named Kara: | Edit
- Kara in song, story & screen: | Edit
Kara Thrace--a pilot whose call sign is Starbuck, one of the main characters in the 2004-2009 scifi show "Battlestar Galactica"
Kara, Supergirl's Kryptonian name (DC Comics)
Name Lists Featuring Kara
Global Popularity of the Name Kara
- #78 in Scotland
- #136 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #166 in Canada (Alberta)
- #260 in United States