Katie: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Katie
Origin of the name Katie:
A pet form of any of the various names beginning with the element Kat(h), Katie is also commonly bestowed as an independent given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Katie? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Katie
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Katie
- Comments and insights on the name Katie: | Edit
My name is Katie. Well actually my real nme is Katherine, but I've always been called Katie. I think its a really great name! it sounds good with all lastnames and middlenames and is good for any age. What I like about it is that you cant find any way to tease anyone called Katie! Its an awesome, pretty yet not too girly name!
I think it's a really pretty name! But I wouldn't choose it myself as can be a bit like a nickname.
Pretty name but far too popular. Often gets confusing in my town and church with the amount of Katie's there are. Nice name though, just a bit too much.
- Personal experiences with the name Katie: | Edit
It is a fun name, easy to spell. Now that I'm hitting my mid-20s though I do sometimes wish I had a more full name for official uses (interviews, academic papers, etc.). I would not personally use the nicknames-as-names trend.
I'm in my 20s and I've always liked my name, I think it suits me. I've been told it makes me seem friendly before people have even really got to know me. Although, I used to hate when people shortened it to Kate, but I don't mind it as much now because it's just usually strangers I'll never meet again.
I have a sister named Katie who sometimes wishes her name was Kathleen or Katherine. Everybody likes her name though.
- Nicknames for Katie: | Edit
Kay, Kate, Kat, Kitty, KayT, KT
- Meanings and history of the name Katie: | Edit
Short form of Katherine, meaning "pure" in Greek, used as a name in its own right.
- Famous real-life people named Katie: | Edit
Kate "Katie" Holmes, American actress
Katherine "Katie" Couric, American journalist
Katherine "Katie" Cassidy, American actress
Kathrine "Katie" McGrath, Irish actress
Katie "Kate" Gosselin, mother of sextuplets, seen on "Jon and Kate plus 8"
- Katie in song, story & screen: | Edit
In the novel "Gone With the Wind", Katie was Scarlett O'Hara's real first name; she was named Katie Scarlett O'Hara after her paternal grandmother, Katie Scarlett (Scarlett being the grandmother's surname).
"Katie and Tommy" by Trisha Yearwood (song)
"Katie" by Missy Higgins (song)
"Katie Q" by Thirsty Merc (song)
"Maybe Katie" by Barenaked Ladies (song)
"Katie" by James Marsters (song)
"Katie Come True" by Bright Eyes (song)
"Katie John," lead character in Mary Calhoun's series of children's novels
Used in the opening line of Mayday Parade's song "Miserable At Best"
Katie Bell, Gryffindor Chaser in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Katie Gardner, Daughter of Demeter in Percy Jackson and the Olympians