Kayla Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Kayla:
Transferred use of the Anglicized Irish surname, which is from the Gaelic Mac Caollaidhe (son of Caollaidhe) and O'Caollaidhe (descendant of Caollaidhe). The name is derived from caol (slender).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Kayla? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Kayla
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Kayla
- Comments and insights on the name Kayla: | Edit
I’m 24 years old and my name is Kayla. I was named after my Great Aunt Kay and my mother decided on this name because GAK was an incredible human with gracious smile and loved to help others. I’m the same way, although I like animals more than people, I enjoy bringing joy to other’s lives. Like my mom, I especially adore bringing love to those who need it most; those that don’t have as many people to love them as they should. My mom works with disabled students and has had a career in special education for over twenty years. I currently work in hospice aiding a elderly man with Parkinson’s disease, and spend my free time caring for those unattended to at the animal shelter nearby. The other reason I was named Kayla is because of the way Y and L come together in cursive handwriting, creating an infinity sign. It reminds me of the infinite possibilities I have to sculpt whatever life I desire, as well as the infinite love I have for myself, the universe and those around me. The name Kayla is dear to my heart and I long for this name to exist for generations to come.
- Personal experiences with the name Kayla: | Edit
Kayla is my birth name and I loathe it. It's too bright and "preppy" for my taste, but that's not why I dislike it. It's very common for being such a simple name (and it's not simple in a good way like Judy or Ruth); long names are far more prettier and womanly, yet somehow this managed to top a classy name like Michelle for quite some time. You can't make a nickname that sounds very nice and still sticks to the actual name. You could go by "Kay," but so does every other girl with that trendy sound, like Kayleigh, Kaylee, Katie, Kaylnn, etc. I know many girls who go by "Kay" even though their name is completely unrelated. You'll have half your class and workplace turning around to this name when it is called. I've shared this name with 5 girls at once, not including the several variations of Makayla I knew. My old friend Caleb and I got confused on the roll call a lot, because no one would thoroughly pronounce the "b" at the end of his name. Most people say "Kayla" when they read "Caleb," so add that name to the confusion of 5 Kaylas, 3 Kaylees, 2 Katies, and 3 Makaylas. I also know two Laylas, an Ayla, and a Maila (said Mayla). When I graduated school, my younger friend told me a girl named Ja'Kayla and Nayla started too. What a tacky name, honestly. You can see it's sudden rise and fall in popularity, indicating that it is trendy. It's so 1990's it's painful; it's basically Jennifer, but at least you can go by Jen, Jem, or Jenny. Why do parents never consider these things?
I'm 21 and my name is Kayla and I was also named after Days of Our Lives..
My name is Kayla, I'm 22 years old and was named that simply because my mom loved the name and after she met me she decided the other names she had picked out didn't fit me. I love my name, it's easy to spell and pronounce and it's easy for my young family members to pick up (or at least call me Kay-Kay).
My name is Kayla, I am twenty years old and was named after the character on Days Of Our Lives. I love my name. It's pretty and sweet and in my opinion is very popular. Usually that's a downside but it's nice knowing most of the world loves your name. I would definitely recommend naming your child this. I also recommend trying new spellings for parents concerned with the popularity. Such as Kaelah or Kaylah.
I too was named after the character from Days Of Our Lives.
My name is Kayla, and I am 16 years old. I do share the name of Kayla with a lot of my friends, and I really enjoy it a lot. I found one of my friends at a summer camp, and both look exactly alike, and we are now BFFs. I would love to be anyone's friend if they are named Kayla, i am always looking for new buddies!
My name is also Kayla and i am 15 years old and i was also named after the character from days of our lives
Hey I guess this is in order of oldest to youngest BECAUSE.... My name is Kayla (duh) Im in 7th grade, Im 12 and again for the 4th time with my moms obsession of Days of our lives (ugh) Im also named after one of the charecters on there who apparently isn't there anymore.... But I was supposed to be originally named Mckayla but my dad wanted to go with a more traditionall irish name from our heritage.
Kayla: A very gorgeous girl who has a lot of secret admirer's. Loves being in the spot life. Big smile and is pretty tough. Kayla can be ice cold with the people who love her most.
I've never watched Days of Our Lives, but I love the name Kayla, I think it's a very pretty name.
Yet another Kayla here, yes, named after the Days of Our Lives character... The fact that my last name is actually Johnson doesn't really help, lol. It's almost too obvious where my name came from.
My friend's name is Kayla and she's amazing. I'm so lucky to have her in my life. She always knows how to make me feel better and she has helped me with so much, like boy problems(you-know-who), family stuff, and friend drama. She is one of the best friends I have ever met and I'm so happy I know her. She loves MCR, P!ATD, FOB, and TOP(they didn't let me do the o thing I'm sorry). Love you Kayla, no homo <3.
- Nicknames for Kayla: | Edit
Kay, Ella, Kayle, Ayla, Kay Kay, K, Miss Kay, Kandy, Kaylynne, Lala, Mars Bar, Dad, Hubby, KaylaAtTheDisco, KitKat, Katie, Katrina, Kat
- Meanings and history of the name Kayla: | Edit
Likely a name that stems from "Michaela," that became "Makayla," and finally "Kayla," or is just two trendy sounds put together. If derived from Michaela, the meaning is actually "Who is like God?" Michaela is the feminine form of the name "Michael," an angel of the Bible. Michael's name is literally a praise stating that no one can compare to God.
Pure/Purity in Greek; Beloved; Wise Child in Arabic; Keeper of the keys in English; Rejoice in Greek; Laurel Crown in Hebrew
Hebrew: A/the laurel crown; a crown made of laurels was often given to winners of competitions back in ancient Greece and were associated with victory/triumph. A laurel crown is a wreath placed on top of a person's head. Though modern laurel wreaths are often circular and made of Bay Laurels (an evergreen plant), they were shaped more like horse shoes in ancient Greece.
- Famous real-life people named Kayla: | Edit
Kayla Ewell, actress
Kayla Collins, model
Kayla Barclay, Miss Utah 2008
Kayla Stra, jockey
Kayla Clark, Artist
Kayla Sinistore, Cool Best Friend who will help anyone
- Kayla in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Kayla Johnson is a character on Days of Our Lives
Kayla was a wolf in a movie, which was called Kayla.
Kayla named doll, Groovy Girls
Kayla is a background character in "99 Homes"