Kayla: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Kayla
Origin of the name Kayla:
Transferred use of the Anglicized Irish surname, which is from the Gaelic Mac Caollaidhe (son of Caollaidhe) and O'Caollaidhe (descendant of Caollaidhe). The name is derived from caol (slender).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Kayla? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Kayla
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Kayla
- Comments and insights on the name Kayla: | Edit
I'm 21 and my name is Kayla and I was also named after Days of Our Lives..
- Personal experiences with the name Kayla: | Edit
My name is Kayla, I'm 22 years old and was named that simply because my mom loved the name and after she met me she decided the other names she had picked out didn't fit me. I love my name, it's easy to spell and pronounce and it's easy for my young family members to pick up (or at least call me Kay-Kay).
My name is Kayla, I am twenty years old and was named after the character on Days Of Our Lives. I love my name. It's pretty and sweet and in my opinion is very popular. Usually that's a downside but it's nice knowing most of the world loves your name. I would definitely recommend naming your child this. I also recommend trying new spellings for parents concerned with the popularity. Such as Kaelah or Kaylah.
I too was named after the character from Days Of Our Lives.
My name is Kayla, and I am 16 years old, and I am high honor student at South Milwaukee High School in South Milwaukee Wisconsin. I do share the name of Kayla with a lot of my friends, and I really enjoy it alot. I found one of my friends at a summer camp, and both look exactly alike, and we are now BFFs. I would love to be anyone's friend if they are named Kayla, i am always looking for new buddies!
My name is also Kayla and i am 15 years old and i was also named after the character from days of our lives
Hey I guess this is in order of oldest to youngest BECAUSE.... My name is Kayla (duh) Im in 7th grade, Im 12 and again for the 4th time with my moms obsession of Days of our lives (gay) Im also named after one of the charecters on there who apparently isn't there anymore.... But I was supposed to be originally named Mckayla but my dad wanted to go with a more traditionall irish name from our heritage.
my name is kayla im 12 too
i have all brother but step sisters i say my brothers names ar Bradley.trezdyn,jeremy jr,Justyn and my sisters are Tara,isabella(izzy bella) i think im ugly and fat but alot of boys like me there is only one boy i like back and his name is Caiden
Kayla: A very gorgeous girl who has a lot of secret admirer's. Loves being in the spot life. Big smile and is pretty tough. Kayla can be ice cold with the people who love her most.
I've never watched Days of Our Lives, but I love the name Kayla, I think it's a very pretty name.
- Nicknames for Kayla: | Edit
Ela (or) Ella
- Meanings and history of the name Kayla: | Edit
Pure/Purity in Greek; Beloved; Wise Child in Arabic; Keeper of the keys in English; Rejoice in Greek; Laurel Crown in Hebrew
Hebrew: A/the laurel crown; a crown made of laurels was often given to winners of competitions back in ancient Greece and were associated with victory/triumph. A laurel crown is a wreath placed on top of a person's head. Though modern laurel wreaths are often circular and made of Bay Laurels (an evergreen plant), they were shaped more like horse shoes in ancient Greece.
- Famous real-life people named Kayla: | Edit
Kayla Ewell, actress
Kayla Collins, model
Kayla Barclay, Miss Utah 2008
Kayla Stra, jockey
Kayla Clark, Artist
- Kayla in song, story & screen: | Edit
Kayla Johnson is a character on Days of Our Lives
Kayla was a wolf in a movie, which was called Kayla.
Kayla named doll, Groovy Girls