Keira Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Ciara:
Irish name derived from ciar (black): hence, "black-haired one." In the U.S., Ciara is pronounced phonetically, rather than with its Gaelic pronunciation of keer-ah.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Keira? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Keira
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
Contribute your knowledge to the name Keira
- Comments and insights on the name Keira: | Edit
We really like the name Keira but are afraid it will be mispronounced a lot. Does anyone named Keira have experience with this? Do people pronounce it KEY-RAH the first time, not KEY-AIR-AH or KEY-R-AH?
Erika, Keira and Kiera are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
I have a cousin named Keira
My name is Keira and I really like it. I like how unique it is but having a nice like Keira comes with the spelling and pronunciation. I get 'Kee-era', 'Ke-ra', 'Kee-ara', 'Kear-a' and it annoys me. People spell my name as Kera, Kiara, Kiera, Kirra, Kira and all the spellings but besides from that, It's a nice name :)
- Personal experiences with the name Keira: | Edit
My name's Keira, and (although it being my name, I may be a bit biased) I think it's a really lovely name. The one thing I can't stand, though? Spelling and pronounciation! Either it's pronounced KYE-RAH being read aloud, or spelled Kira/Kiera upon hearing the pronounciation. I just want to thank god for Keira Knightley, without whom, I would have changed my name to Kira and been done with it long ago.
My daughter is Keira & i absolutely love it! In my small town, my kids names seem to set a trend. now their are several Keira's in this small county. I guess i should be flattered?!
My name is Keira and I love the fact that it is different and I have never met someone with the same name. The only negative is spelling and pronunciation! I am always either called "Kee-air-ah" or "Kye-rah" and my name is usually spelled Kiera by others.
My name is Keira and I am always complimented on what a pretty name it is, though no one ever spells it right. Mostly people spell it Kiera, but sometimes it's Kyra or Kira or even Keria! At least most people pronounce it right. My middle name is Eileen, and I love it.
Keira is a weird person
Keira is my little cousin's name she's turning 5 and is the sweetest little Princess in the world.
My name is Keira and i love the name but meaning sounds nothing like me. I'm not dark, i'm a really bright person and I have light brown hair.
- Nicknames for Keira: | Edit
Kiki, KK, Kerri, Ria, Eir, Key, Kay, Keir-Keir, Keir, Ira, Erra, Ray, Keirey, Kiwi, Keers,
- Meanings and history of the name Keira: | Edit
Variant of Ciara or Kira, "little dark one."
It is commonly used for little girls
with dark hair or complexion
- Famous real-life people named Keira: | Edit
Keira Knightley, actress
- Keira in song, story & screen: | Edit
Keira Hagai from the video game "Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy".