Larissa: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Larissa
Origin of the name Larissa:
Borrowed from the Russian, Larisa is a name of uncertain derivation. Some believe it to be derived from the name of an ancient city of Thessaly; others feel it may be derived from the Latin hilaris (cheerful).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Larissa? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Larissa
- Comments and insights on the name Larissa: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Larissa: | Edit
Traditionally (in Eastern Europe), the name is pronounced differently than in the United States - La-reee-sa.
- Nicknames for Larissa: | Edit
Lara, Rissa, Risa, Laris, Lars, La-La Orange
- Meanings and history of the name Larissa: | Edit
- Famous real-life people named Larissa: | Edit
- Larissa in song, story & screen: | Edit
From the book Doctor Zhivago, written by Boris Pasternak and published in 1957. The main character's (Yuri Zhivago) wife's full name is Larissa Feodorovna Guishar although the character is better known by her nickname, Lara, throughout the book.
In Greek mythology the nymph Larissa was a daughter of the primordial man Pelasgus.