Lauren Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Lauren:
English cognate of the French Laurence, a feminine form of Laurent, which is derived from the Latin Laurentius (man from Laurentum, a town in Latium).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lauren? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lauren
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland 2014
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lauren
- Comments and insights on the name Lauren: | Edit
Pronounced: LOOR-in or LOHR-in.
My name is Lauren and everywhere I go, it is pronounced "Lore-in" but it is hardly ever spelled correctly. Everyone tries to spell it "Loran". My favorite spelling of my name is "Lauryn"
- Personal experiences with the name Lauren: | Edit
My name is Lauren and I pronounce it LAW-REN. I live in England and there are some of my friends with the same name as me! I find that senior citizens tend to pronounce my name wrong. I like it as it is like the laurel plant and I personally love nature.
My daughter's name is Lauren. I thought it was an unusual name, but the books said it was popular. In school, there was only one other Lauren, so it was not all that common where we lived. I still love the name. Strong, smart, even-tempered.
My name is Lauren, and I got called Loren, Lawrin, and Lala. It gets a little annoying because there are so many Lauren's I know that people now just call me by my last name because I always thought it was someone else they were talking to.
I have a sister and aunt named Lauren, the sister pronounced Lore-in and the aunt Law-rin. Neither my aunt nor my sister seem to be bothered when people pronounce their name the other way, but I feel like if it was me that could get annoying. Of the Laurens I know it's about a 50/50 split on pronunciation, so when I meet a new one I never know which it will be...
I say my name Law-rin (or Lar-in) but everyone mispronounces it Lor-in.
I agree, my name is Law-rin, not Lor-in (the males spelling and pronunciation), however, my mom did spell my name when I was born LaurAn, I have no idea what she was thinking, people called me Law-ran, we had it change!
My name is Lauren and I pronounce my name Lor-in. Lor-in is not a males spelling/pronuciation. Anyways, I hate it when people call me Law-rin. I feel like strangling them. It's Lor-in. I love my name and I would NOT change it. I like the spelling of Lauren not of Lorin or Lawren. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On the flip side, I don't like it when people call me "Lor-in." But I've learned to live with it rather than correct them. I do get called "Laura" from time to time, but usually brush it off.
My name is Lauren and I pronounce it Law-rin. I used to hate when people call me Lor-in because that wasn't how I spelt my name! Im used to it now and just let it be most of the time but most of my friends call me Lo anyways.
- Nicknames for Lauren: | Edit
Laur, Laurie, Ren, Wren, Lo, La, Lala, Laurnee, Lulu, Lele, Laura, Loz, Lozza, Lolly, LoLo
- Meanings and history of the name Lauren: | Edit
Derived from "Laura," Lauren has various meanings: "crowned with laurels," "sweet of honor" or "victory of wisdom." The ancient Greeks used laurel wreaths or crowns as a symbol of victory, so if you'd like to think of it that way, more literally, Lauren means "victorious."
- Famous real-life people named Lauren: | Edit
Lauren Bacall, American actress
Lauren Hutton, American supermodel and actress (born Mary Laurence Hutton)
Lauren Cohan, American actress
Lauren Conrad, American reality star
Lauren Graham, American actress
Lauren Holiday, US Women's National Soccer Player
Lauren Jauregui, Fifth Harmony singer
Lauren Lopez, Stage Actress
Lauren Holly, American actress
Lauren Elizabeth, American Internet Star
Lauren London, American actress
- Lauren in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Lauren & I" sung by Keith Harkin from Celtic Thunder
"Lauren" by Sharif
Lauren Zizes is a character on the TV series "Glee"
Lauren Branning, UK soap 'Eastenders" character
Lauren Tanner is a character on the TV series "Make it or Break it"
Lauren Miller, character on American sitcom 'Still Standing'