Lauren: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Lauren
Origin of the name Lauren:
English cognate of the French Laurence, a feminine form of Laurent, which is derived from the Latin Laurentius (man from Laurentum, a town in Latium).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lauren? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lauren
- Comments and insights on the name Lauren: | Edit
My name is Lauren and everywhere I go, it is pronounced "Lore-in" but it is hardly ever spelled correctly. Everyone tries to spell it "Loran". My favorite spelling of my name is "Lauryn"
- Personal experiences with the name Lauren: | Edit
My one year old Daughter's name is LAUREN and I lOVE it..I get compliments on it all the time, and I do not know ONE other baby with the same name!! I call her LuLu for a nicknamem it's cute...VERY happy with my choice :)
My name's Lauren and in England we pronounce it LOH-RIn, I dont like it as it's way too common. MY nicknames Laurie though, I don't mind that as much.
I say my name Law-rin (or Lar-in) but everyone mispronounces it Lor-in.
I agree, my name is Law-rin, not Lor-in (the males spelling and pronunciation), however, my mom did spell my name when I was born LaurAn, I have no idea what she was thinking, people called me Law-ran, we had it change!
My name is Lauren and I pronounce my name Lor-in. Lor-in is not a males spelling/pronuciation. Anyways, I hate it when people call me Law-rin. I feel like strangling them. It's Lor-in. I love my name and I would NOT change it. I like the spelling of Lauren not of Lorin or Lawren. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On the flip side, I don't like it when people call me "Lor-in." But I've learned to live with it rather than correct them. I do get called "Laura" from time to time, but usually brush it off.
- Nicknames for Lauren: | Edit
Laur, Laurie, Ren, Wren, Lo, La, Lala, Laurnee, Lulu, Lele, Laura, Loz, Lozza, Lolly,
- Meanings and history of the name Lauren: | Edit
The name Laura, which is very similar, means "crowned with laurels." The ancient Greeks used to use laurel crowns as a symbol of victory, so if you'd like to think of it that way, more literally, Lauren means "victorious."
- Famous real-life people named Lauren: | Edit
Lauren Bacall, American actress
Lauren Cohan, American actress
Lauren Conrad, American reality star
Lauren Graham, American actress
- Lauren in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Lauren & I" sung by Keith Harkin from Celtic Thunder
"Lauren" by Sharif
Lauren Zizes is a character on the TV series "Glee"
Name Lists Featuring Lauren
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011