Leah: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Leah
Origin of the name Leah:
Derived from the Hebrew lā'āh (weary, to tire). The name is borne in the Bible by the eldest daughter of Laban and the first of Jacob's four wives.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Leah? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Leah
- Comments and insights on the name Leah: | Edit
I'm a Leah in my late 20's and it wasn't a common name growing up, so never a nuisance. What IS a nuisance is people thinking it's pronounced "Lee." I'm actually surprised when strangers get it right. I love my name, though (my mom wanted to name me Dorkus so I'm extra thankful). All the Leahs I've known, including myself, are quirky.
My name is Leah, and I love it. It isn't way long or frilly, but it is still distinct and feminine. There is really no wrong way to pronounce it, you just pick between the hebrew heritage (Lai ah) or the more american (Lee ah my name).
I don't know why but I never quite liked this name. There's just something about it. It sounds so whiny- Leeeeee-aaaaaah. The eeah sound is just...eh..
I agree with you. It's always sounded kinda prissy and high-maintenance to me.
- Personal experiences with the name Leah: | Edit
I love the name! The only part I don't like is that it's pronounced Lee-ah and everyone always says Lay-ah! But it's a beautiful name I enjoy it! :) No one I know has the name! It's not common where I'm from, so it's awesome and original!
Our niece Leah (born 1980) is often asked if she was named after the Star Wars character Princess Leia.
I'm a Leah in her 20's, and throughout my school-years my name was often mispronounced by teachers. They usually tried to pronounce it "Lay-ah". But, I've always loved my name and the fact that I am usually the only "Leah" in the school or social setting.
I'm 15 (as of 2009) and live in New York. I know a ton of Leahs all of whom pronounce it Lee-ah, except for one who says LAY-ah. There are at least five in my school and I know even more outside of it, but I still love the name.
My younger (21 year old) sister's name is Leah, and she was the only Leah we've ever personally known. I love her name! Everyone in school could pronounce her name (probably because its a bible name and we went to Catholic school) but some people in later years have tried to pronounce it Lee...I don't see it personally. My parents used to sing the rock song Ah-Leeeeeaaaah to her all the time :)
- Nicknames for Leah: | Edit
Leelah, Leeder, Lee, Leanardo, Leaskee, Leelers, Leahaha, Laya, Lia Hamm(as in Mia Hamm), Lou Lou, Lee Lee, Leon, Leah Beah, Lezz, Lez, Lezza, Lezzy, LoLo, Lea, Leah Pia, Princess Leia
- Meanings and history of the name Leah: | Edit
Hebrew la'a or le'ah meaning "weary, grieved, offended" http://www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Leah.html#.U3F8MvldVx0
Assyrian li'at meaning "mistress"
Old English leah meaning "open meadow" http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=lea
Also possibly meaning wild cow or gazelle.
- Famous real-life people named Leah: | Edit
Leah Burke- popular Scottish girl
Leah Gosselin, "Jon & Kate plus 8", 5th born of the Gosselin sextuplets
Leah Applebaum, American actress
Leah Ayres, American actress
Leah Cutter, American author
Leah Pipes, American actress
Leah Purcell, Australian actress
Leah Remini, American actress
Leah Ryan, American author
Leah Maher, American actress
Leah Dizon, American model and singer
Leah Haywood, Australian singer
Leah Krinsky, American comedy writer
- Leah in song, story & screen: | Edit
Roy Orbison's song "Leah"
Donnie Iris had a hit song "Ah! Leah!" in 1980.
Another Hit Song "Leah" by Stereo Skyline
Leah Brahms, fictional character from Star Trek
Leah Mordecai, title character of the 1856 novel by Belle K. Abbott
Leah Patterson-Baker, fictional character in Australian soap opera Home and Away
Leah Rose, fictional character in the Left Behind series
Leah Clearwater, fictional character in the "Twilight Series" by Stephenie Meyer
Leah, fictional character in the Angels Trilogy by Lurlene McDaniel
Leah, fictional character in "Juno" played by Olivia Thirlby.
Leah "fang" plenkov daughter of serial killer abel plenkov in my soul to take
Name Lists Featuring Leah
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011