Lena: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Lena | Girls
Origin of the name Lena:
A short form of Magdalena (of Magdala, a town on the Sea of Galilee).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lena? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lena
- Comments and insights on the name Lena: | Edit
Prounounced LEH-na or LEE-na, this is a very popular and trendy name in Poland, also Germany. At no 9 in 2009. (In 2008 it was not not even in the top 20) Very rare in the 20th c.
- Personal experiences with the name Lena: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Lena: | Edit
Lena is already a nickname in itself, since it is a short name for Elena, Yelena, Magdalena...but if you insist on a nickname, then these are the most appropriate - Lee, Len, Lenka
- Meanings and history of the name Lena: | Edit
Elena is a Greek name, in English speaking countries known as Helena, Helena of Troy, which means exactly the same thing - light and shine. Short name is Lena - does not really have a meaning unless it is used in its full form.
- Famous real-life people named Lena: | Edit
-Lena Dunham (producer/actress) most known for the HBO series "Girls" and the indie-movie Tiny Furniture.
-Lena Headey (actress) most known for her roles as Cersei Lannister in HBO's adaption of The Game of Thrones. Also starred as Queen Gorgo in the movie "300" and Sarah Connor in "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" TV show spin-off of the "Terminator" movie saga. She's also known for her role in "The Brother's Grimm" alongside Heath Ledger and Matt Damon as well the live action version of "The Jungle Book".
-Lena Olin (actress)
-Lena Horne, jazz singer
-Lena Meyer-Landrut, pop singer (German), winner of the 55th annual Eurovision Song Contest (2010).
-Lena Katina, Russian singer
- Lena in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Lena", star of the ever popular genre of "Ole and Lena jokes" often told by Scandinavian-Americans and immortalized on the radio show "A Prairie Home Companion."
Lena Kaligaris, character in the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" book series and movies. She is quiet and even tempered, has a Greek heritage, and loves to draw.
Aunt Lena, resilient immigrant character in the "All of a Kind Family" children's book series by Sydney Taylor.
"All For Leyna", song by Billy Joel
Name Lists Featuring Lena
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German)
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
Global Popularity of the Name Lena
- #1 in Austria
- #2 in Switzerland (German)
- #4 in Germany
- #43 in Belgium
- #93 in Hungary
- #93 in Slovenia
- #202 in Norway
- #291 in Scotland
- #302 in Canada (Alberta)
- #440 in United States
- #449 in Canada (Quebec)