Linda Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Linda:
Of various derivations, Linda is formed from the Spanish linda (beautiful, pretty). It is also a short form of any of the Germanic compound names containing the element lind (tender, soft, weak). Alternatively, Linda is used as a short form of Belinda, which is a name of uncertain origin.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Linda? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Linda
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Icelandic Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Iceland 2014
- Most Popular Girls' Names of 1950, United States
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Linda
- Comments and insights on the name Linda: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Linda: | Edit
My name is Linda and I am 45. I love having a beautiful name that is easy to spell, easy to speak, and ISN'T easy to demean. However, I've been called Brenda a lot. Do any other Linda's have that problem? Also, one time I wrote my name in manuscript and put the "I" too close to the "L". When the emcee called my name he pronounced it Unda. That got a lot of laughs! I never made that mistake again.
- Nicknames for Linda: | Edit
Lynn, Lindy, Lindy-Lou, Linda Ba-Squinda
- Meanings and history of the name Linda: | Edit
The name Linda means "beautiful"in Spanish but has a Germanic origin meaning soft, tender. It's also Teutonic (Old German) for 'serpent' or 'lithe as a serpent'. In Afrikaans it means 'wait'. In Kiswahili it means to guard, protect or defend.
- Famous real-life people named Linda: | Edit
Linda Evans, Dynasty actress
Linda Lovelace, porn star
Linda Lavin, "Alice" actress
Linda McCartney, wife of Paul McCartney
Linda Scott 60's singer of "Ive told every little star"
- Linda in song, story & screen: | Edit
Linda Lee Danvers, Supergirl's human name (DC comics)
"I saw Linda yesterday" by Dickie Lee
"Linda lu "written by blues artist Ray Sharpe
"Linda" sung by Buddy Clark,& Jan and Dean
Linda goes to mars
"Oh Linda" sung by Gordon Lightfoot
"The lovely Linda" by Paul Mccartney
"Lynda,( Do You Wanna Dance?)Steve Wariner
"Bella Linda" The Grass Roots
"Linda on my mind " Conway Twitty
"Where is Linda" Curtis Little
"My Sweet Linda" Eric Stone
"Little Miss Linda" Mac Curtis
"Linda Lou " Kenny and The BeeBops
"Linda Darling" The Hawking Brothers
"Linda is the girl for me" Rikki Troy
"Linda" Tulsa tradition
"Baby Linda" Porter Wagoner
"Lady Linda" The Beach Boys
"Don't listen to Linda" The monkeys
"A Linda Song" Barry Manilow
"Oh Linda" Gordon Lightfoot
Linda Hanson, in the 2007 film "Premonition"
Linda Lue Linden, in the 1993 film "The Thing Called Love"
Linda Belcher, a main character in the show Bob’s Burgers