Lola: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Lola | Girls
Origin of the name Lola:
A diminutive form of the Spanish Dolores, which is derived from dolores (sorrows, aches).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lola? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lola
- Comments and insights on the name Lola: | Edit
Lola is a common Spanish nickname for Dolores. It can also be a nickname for Charlotte.
The word "lola" is also the word for "grandmother" in the Filipino language Tagalog, also in the Filipino language Visayan/Bisaya.
I have heard of Ethiopian and Senegalese girls having the nickname Lola.
- Personal experiences with the name Lola: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Lola: | Edit
Polish nicknames: Lolka (LOHL-ka), Lolcia (LOHL-chya)
- Meanings and history of the name Lola: | Edit
In Polish Lola (LOH-la) is an uncommon nickname for Karolina, even more rarely for Laura, Leonia and Eleonora.
The word "lola" is the word for "grandmother/granny/grandmom" in the Filipino language Tagalog, also in the Filipino language Visayan/Bisaya.
- Famous real-life people named Lola: | Edit
Lola Albright - American actress
Lola Glaudini - American actress
Lola Pagnani - Italian actress
Lola Grace (b. 2001), daughter of Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos
Lola Rose (b. 2005), daughter of Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards
Lola Ray (b. 2002), daughter of Peter Facinelli and Jennie Garth
Lola Simone (b. 2002), daughter of Chris Rock
- Lola in song, story & screen: | Edit
Lola Sonner, character in the Charlie and Lola series of books by Lauren Child. There is also a television show based on this pair.
Lola Luftnagle/Lola LaFonda, Names Lilly Trescott uses on the television show "Hannah Montana" to disguise herself.
Lola, main character in the 1998 German film "Run Lola Run" or "Lola rennt."
"Whatever Lola Wants" is a song originally written for the play "Damn Yankees." It's also been recorded by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Les Brown, and Sarah Vaughn. It was inspired by Lola Montez.
"Lola" is a song about an encounter between a young man and a transvestite performed by The Kinks and released in 1970.
Lola, main character in the song "Copacabana", performed by Barry Manilow "Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl"
Name Lists Featuring Lola
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Lola
- #37 in Belgium
- #51 in England
- #55 in Spain
- #89 in Australia (Victoria)
- #151 in Scotland
- #225 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #246 in United States
- #338 in Canada (Alberta)
- #344 in Canada (Quebec)