Lucy: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Lucy
Origin of the name Lucy:
English cognate of Lucia, which is derived from the Latin lux (light). Lucy is also used as a pet form of Lucinda.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lucy? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lucy
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lucy
- Comments and insights on the name Lucy: | Edit
My name is Lucy and I have never had a problem with the loose-y thing. My nicknames were like Lou, Lou lou, loose. I am 24 by the way
Lucy is also used as a nickname for the Spanish names Luz, Luz Maria and Maria de la Luz
This name is getting TOO POPULAR. Man, it happens fast! I've met a bunch of Lucies lately.
^ I agree! It was an ok name until it got trendy.
I always thought Lucys would get teased for being "loose-y", but I've never heard that in real life.
Lucy Loose Legs is the name of my Nana's Cat.
I have encountered far more dogs named Lucy than people!
While I love the name... My uncles have a dog named Lucy... It's very k-9 sounding
I love the name Lucy! In fact, my dog is called Lucy, and if/when we have a daughter, I would have no problem naming her Lucy, as well. It's a great name. Full of life and light. As for the Lucy/Loose-y teasing, it's ridiculous and who cares! You can make up negative jibes for every name in the book! A girl I know called Norah (another beautiful name), got called "Snore-ah Norah" (i.e., boring) at school! So, I wouldn't base whether or not to choose a name based on what some idiot on the playground will say!
We love the name for Lucy and it fits our daughter perfectly! & it's not Lucille!
Lucy, like Robyn and Shirley, is nostalgic and utterly adorable
BEAUTIFUL name!!! What's more uplifting than a name that means "light". My daughter is Lucy & she's the light of my whole day!!!
- Personal experiences with the name Lucy: | Edit
I love being called Lucy. People are always telling me they like it.
We picked Lucy for our daughter in 2007 after my hubby made a Lucy Goosey joke. I just thought, Lucy? I love it! & so does everyone else!
My daughter was born 2009 & my husband picked out her name, Lucy. Never Lucille tho. I get compliments all the time & only ran into 1 person that I'm aware of who named a pet with that name.
I've noticed many girls born after her in my area named the same & I LOVE it.
Keep the good old names coming!!! No more misspelled or made up names here!!!
- Nicknames for Lucy: | Edit
Luciel, Luce, Lulu, Lu/Lou, Goose, Moosey, Lucy Lastic, Lucie Goosey, Lucy-Lu Who, Juicy Lucy!, Goose Goose, Goo-Goo, Lucy Goose, Luey, Lucy Lu, Loopsy, Loops, Luchy, Luce
- Meanings and history of the name Lucy: | Edit
Lucy means "light", and is derived from Latin lux, lucis.
Saint Lucy (b. 283 – d. 304), was a wealthy young Christian martyr who is venerated as a saint by Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran, and Orthodox Christians. Her feast day is 13 December -- the longest night of the year. wWth a name derived from lux, lucis "light", she is the patron saint of those who are blind. Saint Lucy is one of the very few saints celebrated by members of the Lutheran Church among the Scandinavian peoples, who take part in Saint Lucy's Day celebrations. Saint Lucy is one of seven women, aside from the Blessed Virgin Mary, commemorated by name in the Canon of the Mass.
Saint Lucy is patron saint of vision (e.g., eyes; eyesight; those who are blind); vision (e.g., insight, inspiration for artists and writers); martyrs; Perugia, Italy; Mtarfa, Malta; salesmen, Syracuse, Italy, throat infections, and writers.
- Famous real-life people named Lucy: | Edit
Lucy Hale, American actress
Lucille "Lucy" Ball, American actress
Lucy Liu, American actress
Lucy Lawless, New Zealand actress
- Lucy in song, story & screen: | Edit
Lucy, sister of Linus, nemesis of Charlie Brown.
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", a song by The Beatles.
Lucy Pevensie, character in "Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis.
Lucy Diamond, character in the film D.E.B.S.
Lucy Honeychurch, protagonist of the "A Room with A View" novel by E. M. Forster and a Merchant-Ivory film
Lucy, titular character in Sir Walter Scott's novel, the Bride of the Lammermoors
Lucy Steele, a character in "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen
Lucy Ricardo, "I Love Lucy"
Lucy Camden, one of the daughters on "7th Heaven"
Lucy Moderatz, in the 1995 romantic comedy While You Were Sleeping.
Lucy Kelson, in the 2002 romantic comedy Two Weeks Notice.
Lucy Carrigan, in the 2007 Beatle's musical "Across the Universe".
Lucy Dotson, effervescent character portrayed by Enuka Okuma in the TV series 'Sue Thomas F.B.Eye'
Lucy Whitmore, portrayed by Drew Barrymore, in 50 First Dates
"Forgetful Lucy" by Adam Sandler
"I think her name is Lucy but they all call her Loose", Beastie Boys/She's Crafty
Lucy Wilde, AVL agent and Wife of Gru in Despicable Me 2 portrayed by Kristen Wiig
Lucy Heartfilia (also Heartphilia) protagonist of the manga & anime Fairy Tail