Luna: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Luna
Origin of the name Luna:
Directly derived from the Latin luna (the moon). She was the Roman mythological goddess of the moon and is equated with the Greek Selene. Luna can be used as an astrological name for those born under the sign of Cancer, which is ruled by the moon.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Luna? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Luna
- Comments and insights on the name Luna: | Edit
Popular Zuni Indian name.
Louna is the popular spelling in France & Belgium.
- Personal experiences with the name Luna: | Edit
My twin daughters are named Luna and Stella (meaning moon and star) and I love both their names! - Like the story Stella Luna.
- Nicknames for Luna: | Edit
My husband and I often call our daughter Lunar
- Meanings and history of the name Luna: | Edit
Luna means 'moon' in Latin & Spanish.
- Famous real-life people named Luna: | Edit
Luna Leopold - (male) American environmentalist and geologist
Daughter of actress Constance Marie ("Switched at Birth" and "George Lopez")
- Luna in song, story & screen: | Edit
Luna Lovegood, character in "Harry Potter" books (with unfortunate nickname of 'Loony')
'Eva Luna' is the eponymous protagonist in Isabel Allende's novel
"Luna" by Smashing Pumpkins (from the album Siamese Dreams 1993)
Luna is Sailor Moon's Cat
Luna Moody, "One Life to Live"
Name Lists Featuring Luna
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010