Lyssa: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Lyssa
Origin of the name Melissa:
Derived from the Greek melissa (a bee). The 16th century Italian poet Ariosto used the name for the good fairy who protected Bradamante and helped Ruggero escape from Atlante upon the hippogriff in the poem Orlando Furioso.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Lyssa? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Lyssa
Contribute your knowledge to the name Lyssa
- Comments and insights on the name Lyssa: | Edit
Lyssa can be seen as a variation of Melissa, or Lissa, meaning honey bee.
- Personal experiences with the name Lyssa: | Edit
I used this for my daughter's name.
- Nicknames for Lyssa: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Lyssa: | Edit
Lyssa can be seen as a variation of Melissa or Lissa, meaning honey bee.
- Famous real-life people named Lyssa: | Edit
Lyssavirus, a genus of viruses, including the rabies virus (known as the neurotropic lyssavirus).
- Lyssa in song, story & screen: | Edit
Princess Lyssa, from the movie Krull