Maddison: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Maddison
Origin of the name Madison:
Transferred use of the surname meaning "Mad's son." Mad was a common pet form of Matthew (gift of God) during the Middle Ages. Madison may also be a matronymic derived from the name Maud, an old pet form of Mathilda (battle mighty): hence, "son of Maud."
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Maddison? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Maddison
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Maddison
- Comments and insights on the name Maddison: | Edit
My name is Maddison, named in 1993 by my mother. My friends know me as maddy most of the time. I used to think my name was too long and weird as it was not common. Now though, i am sixteen and i love having such an uncommon name. My mum is an artist, i am quite creative and am social. Thanks mum for calling me Maddison, it makes me who i am today.
- Personal experiences with the name Maddison: | Edit
I named my now 14 year old daughter Maddison Quinn in 1995, long before it became a top 10 contender. She LOVES her name and often goes by Maddi. Even though there are currently scores of "Madison" counterparts in the under 10 age group, she has only met one other Maddison (spelled the same way) that is near her age, so she feels like her name is a trailblazer. The meaning, as I understand it, is "Good" rather than "the Son of Maude". Words to describe her would be kind, loves kids and animals, very independent and capable of doing anything, extremely social, a little stubborn, smart, active, and socially conscious.
- Nicknames for Maddison: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Maddison: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Maddison: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Maddison in song, story & screen: | Edit
The song "Madison" by Jude Cole (Album: I Don't Know Why I Act This Way, 1995)