Magdalena: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Magdalena
Origin of the name Magdalena:
Latinate cognate of Magdalene (of Magdala, a town on the coast of the Sea of Galilee).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Magdalena? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Magdalena
- Comments and insights on the name Magdalena: | Edit
Pretty, uncommon, traditional, and with great Biblical references! Love it!
- Personal experiences with the name Magdalena: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Magdalena: | Edit
Lena, Leni, Maggie, Magda, Malena, Nena, Mane, Manena, Dali, Lynn (variation of Lena).
I actually know a Magdalena who goes by Maddie...? I don't know how she got that.
In response to the poster above, my neice's name is Magdalena and goes by Maddy. This is because Magdalena is her great grandmother's name and she went by Maddy as well. I have heard in my family that Magdalena is the belgium form of Madelyn.
- Meanings and history of the name Magdalena: | Edit
This is the Latin, German, Spanish, Swedish, Polish, and Czech form of the name Magdalen or Magdalene. It means "woman of Magdala".
- Famous real-life people named Magdalena: | Edit
Magdalena Rivas, American model from cycle 3 of America's Next Top Model
Magdalena Lewy-Boulet, American runner
Magdalena Worsinska, Polish-American photographer
- Magdalena in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Magdalena" is a song by David Gray.
"Magdalena" is a song by A Perfect Circle
"Magdalena" is a song by Frank Zappa.
"Magdalena" is a song by Leo Sayers.
Name Lists Featuring Magdalena
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland, 2010