Marguerite Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Marguerite:
French form of margaret, which is derived from the Greek maragon (a pearl).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marguerite? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marguerite
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marguerite
- Comments and insights on the name Marguerite: | Edit
Marguerite is a French form of Margaret. It is also the French word for 'daisy'.
- Personal experiences with the name Marguerite: | Edit
Our almost 5-year old daughter is named Marguerite. We call her Maggie. I like the options and french nature of it as well as the connection with flowers and pearls. It feels feminine and has a traditional "normal" nickname (or several possible nicknames), and can easily be adapted by the girl as she grows to suit her age/stage/personality. We like it :)
- Nicknames for Marguerite: | Edit
Margot, Marge, Margie, Maggie, Mette, Daisy
- Meanings and history of the name Marguerite: | Edit
The meaning of the name is 'Pearl'.
- Famous real-life people named Marguerite: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Marguerite in song, story & screen: | Edit
Marguerite was one of the stepsisters in 1998's Ever After with Drew Barrymore. Marguerite was played by Megan Dodds.