Mariah Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Mariah:
Variant of the Hebrew Moriya (teacher). The name is borrowed from that of a hill from which Abraham prepared to offer Isaac up as a sacrifice. It is a holy place now covered by the Muslim Kubbet es-Sakrah (the Dome of the Rock).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mariah? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mariah
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mariah
- Comments and insights on the name Mariah: | Edit
I like it
Amirah and Mariah are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
love it! considering the name Mariah Grace
- Personal experiences with the name Mariah: | Edit
My grandmother named a cat Mariah because it was always going "mrrrrrrrrraouw" and it sounded like the name Mariah.
- Nicknames for Mariah: | Edit
Riah or Ri (Pronounced with a long I). Mya
- Meanings and history of the name Mariah: | Edit
Of Hebrew origin; considered to mean "The LORD is My Teacher"
Others attribute to Latin "Star of the Sea"
Meaning the "like the wind"
- Famous real-life people named Mariah: | Edit
Mariah Carey, singer
- Mariah in song, story & screen: | Edit
"They Call the wind Mariah", folk song