Marian: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Marian
Origin of the name Marian:
Variant of Marion, a French diminutive form of Marie, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām, a name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea."
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marian? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marian
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marian
- Comments and insights on the name Marian: | Edit
Adjective having to do with the Virgin Mary.
Marian and Marina are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Marian: | Edit
I like my name overall. I've never met anyone else even close to my age (born in 1980) named Marian. I've met a couple old ladies named Marian and that's it. I like that it's unique and easy to pronounce, but I really don't like how everyone calls me Maryanne (new acquaintances, restaurant hostesses, take out cashiers, etc.). I also don't like how pretty much everyone except those who know me well spell my name with an O in emails. Even with my name on my signature, people respond with "Dear Marion, ..." Very frustrating. It flows really nicely as a middle name, so I'd say that's a better option because then you don't have to worry about mispronunciation/misspelling.
My name is Marian and it tends to be misspelled as "Marion."
My husband and I have agreed that if we have another daughter, we will name her Marian. I love the sound of it, the spelling with two As, and the association with both the Virgin Mary and the Robin Hood legend.
My name is Marian and I have always loved it. I rarely meet anyone with the proper spelling for the female version. Usually it is Marion. That said, I find it to be an uncommon yet lovely name. It is often misspelled as Marianne, Mary Anne or Marion, which is quite annoying.
- Nicknames for Marian: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Marian: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Marian: | Edit
- Marian Anderson, singer (contralto) with the Metropolitan Opera who famously performed an open-air concert on Easter Sunday, April 9, 1939, on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- Marian Finucane, Irish broadcaster.
- Marian Keyes, author.
- Marian in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Maid Marian of Robin Hood fame.
- "Robin and Marian," a 1976 remake of "Robin Hood" starring Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn.
- Marian Paroo, a.k.a. "Marian the Librarian" in "The Music Man."