Mariana Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Mariana:
Feminine form of Marian, which is from the Latin Marianus (of Marius), a name derived from Mars, the name of the Roman mythological god of war. As a result of similarity of form, the name became associated with Maria, the name of the Blessed Virgin, and was often bestowed in her honor.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mariana? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mariana
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2014
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal
- Colombian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Colombia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mariana
- Comments and insights on the name Mariana: | Edit
I love that this name combines the Spanish versions of the Virgin Mary's name (Maria) with her mother's name(Ana).
I also know a Czech Mariana ... I love that this name, like Maria and Ana, crosses so many cultures yet is not as generic.
- Personal experiences with the name Mariana: | Edit
One of my best friend's names is Mariana, but she goes by Mari. I have always loved her real name and I also think that Mari is such a cute nickname!
My name is Mariana, and this name is VERY common in latin america, at least in my country it is, I've never liked it. I also go by the nickname Mari!
- Nicknames for Mariana: | Edit
Mari, Ana, Mah, Mia, Nana, Nani
- Meanings and history of the name Mariana: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Mariana: | Edit
Mariana Levy (1966-2005), Mexican actress.
Mariana Rios, Brazilian actress and singer.
Mariana Rossi (b. 1979) Argentine field hockey player, Olympic bronze medalist
Mariana Ximenes, Brazilian actress.
- Mariana in song, story & screen: | Edit
Marianas Trench, band
Marianas Trench, song by metalcore band August Burns Red
"Open up your gate, Marianna" is the refrain of Dave Carter's song "Mother, I Climbed" (about a search for faith)