Mariel Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Mariel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Mariel
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mariel
- Comments and insights on the name Mariel: | Edit
Elmira, Mariel and Marlie are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Mariel: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Mariel: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Mariel: | Edit
Pet form of Mary or Marielena.
Mariel is the name of the port in Cuba that was designated by Castro for Cubans to leave the country in the late 70's. The thousands who escaped during this mass exodus are called Marielitos. The name Mariel has come to represent the journey to freedom.
- Famous real-life people named Mariel: | Edit
Mariel Hemingway, American actress
Mariel Martin, dancer
- Mariel in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Mariel of Redwall," young adult novel by Brian Jacques
Mariel is the name the title character from the film "Muriel's Wedding" chose for herself after getting a makeover.