Marilla Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Marilla:
A short form of Amaryllis, a name of uncertain meaning. Amaryllis was the name borne by a shepherdess in the classical poems of Virgil and Theocritus. Alternatively, the name may be bestowed in reference to the genus name of a family of colorful flowering plants.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marilla? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Marilla
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marilla
- Comments and insights on the name Marilla: | Edit
My name is Marilla and I met a girl from Prince Edward Island (where the book Anne of Green Gables is based) and she had several friends called Marilla. So I guess it's quite popular over there, but I'm the only person I know in the UK with this name. It was a burden when I was younger (Marilla Gorilla etc), but as I grew older, I grew into it, and I think having an unusual name is character-building (which is why I subsequently gave my daughter SIX character building names!!!)
- Personal experiences with the name Marilla: | Edit
My name is Marilla. I only know one other person who lives in Germany, but when you get called down to guidance... They dont have to use your last name :)
I know one Marilla in the USA, a college student in the Midwest; the name is a family name.
There is a town named Marilla in New York.
- Nicknames for Marilla: | Edit
Rilla, Rillz, Mar Mar, Vanilla(obvious) La La, Gorilla ;P, Mars, Marsbar, Reller, Milly, Bill, Billy, Marilli
- Meanings and history of the name Marilla: | Edit
In the religious sense, Marilla is another form of Mary
- Famous real-life people named Marilla: | Edit
• There is a famous viola player named Marilla... If you know her name, feel free to edit this :)
• Marilla Ness is a Christian recording artist in the UK. (www.marilla.com)
• There's a professor in the department of Educational Psychology at the University of Texas in Austin named Marilla Svinicki; a lawyer in San Jose, California, named Marilla Ronald; and a textile artist named Marilla Palmer in the USA.
- Marilla in song, story & screen: | Edit
Marilla Cuthbert, a character in L. M. Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables" novels