Marion: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Marion
Origin of the name Marion:
A French diminutive form of Marie, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām, a name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea."
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marion? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marion
- Comments and insights on the name Marion: | Edit
In the 1950s, Italian Americans who wanted to continue the tradition of naming female children after male relatives with the name "Mario" sometimes chose the Americanized "Marion," rather than Maria or Mariana.
- Personal experiences with the name Marion: | Edit
I'm a 25-year-old named Marion, and I've only ever met one other Marion who wasn't at least 30 years older than I. I used to hate that and wish I didn't have an "old lady's name," but now I enjoy that it is unusual yet still easily spelled, easily recognized. I think old-fashioned names are becoming popular for that very reason. Old-fashioned names can be nostalgic or be brought back to life by giving them to a new baby.
Marion to me now is heroins of the past like Maid Marion; William Wallace's wife was Marion, and Indiana Jones' girlfriend, of course! :)
- Nicknames for Marion: | Edit
Mimi, Minnie, Mari, Mara, Mona, Mar
- Meanings and history of the name Marion: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Marion: | Edit
- Marion Cotillard, Academy Award–winning French actress who has appeared in "Big Fish," "A Very Long Engagement," "Public Enemies," Inception" and "La Vie en Rose"
- Marion Davies, silent film star and longtime lover of millionaire publisher William Randolph Hearst
- Marion Jones, disgraced American track and field athlete
- Marion Ross, American actress ("Happy Days," "Gilmore Girls")
- Marion Zimmer Bradley, fantasy author ("Mists of Avalon")
- Marion Loretta Elwell Broderick, twin daughter of Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick
- Marion Ravn, a gothic Norwegian singer
- Marion Braidfute, "Braveheart" William Wallace's lover or wife (13th century, Scottish)
- Marion in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Marion Ravenwood, Indiana Jones' former girlfriend in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"
- Robin Hood's love interest is occasionally spelled "Maid Marion," although "Maid Marian" is far more common.
Global Popularity of the Name Marion
- #256 in Canada (Quebec)
- #311 in Norway