Marthe: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Marthe
Origin of the name Martha:
Derived from the Aramaic Mārthā (lady, mistress). The name is borne in the Bible by the sister of Lazarus and Mary of Bethany.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Marthe? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Marthe
- Comments and insights on the name Marthe: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Marthe: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Marthe: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Marthe: | Edit
French form of Martha, meaning "lady, mistress of the house". It is pronounced MART.
- Famous real-life people named Marthe: | Edit
Marthe Keller, Swiss actress
Marthe, Princess Bibesco, Romanian-French writer
Marthe Richard, French activist, writer and spy
Marthe Robin, French Catholic mystic
Marthe Vogt, German neuroscientist
- Marthe in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Marthe" was the first novel by Joris-Karl Huysmans, adapted into a film a century later.