Maryse: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Maryse
Origin of the name Mary:
Anglicized form of Maria, which is derived from the Hebrew Miryām (sea of bitterness, sea of sorrow). There is much debate over the meaning of the name, however. While "sea of bitterness or sorrow" seems to be the most probable, some sources give the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea." The name, borne in the Bible by the virgin mother of Jesus, has become one of the most enduringly popular names in the Christian world.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Maryse? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Maryse
- Comments and insights on the name Maryse: | Edit
pronounced Mah REEZ
- Personal experiences with the name Maryse: | Edit
MARYSE IS A GODDESS I'D TOTS NAME ALL MY CHILDREN AFTER HER CANADIAN GOODNESS.
- Nicknames for Maryse: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Maryse: | Edit
From Mary and Louise, common in France
- Famous real-life people named Maryse: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Maryse in song, story & screen: | Edit
Maryse Lightwood-a minor character in The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare