Matilda: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Matilda | Girls
Origin of the name Matilda:
Derived from the Old High German Mahthilda (powerful in battle), a compound name composed of the elements maht (might, power) and hiltia (battle).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Matilda? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Matilda
- Comments and insights on the name Matilda: | Edit
Matilda is steadily climbing up in popularity in England... it was off the top 100 chart when I was pregnant 4 years ago... The next year it was on number 83 and it's up to 60-something now. Watch out for it getting popular in the US too, now with Heath Ledger's death (more mention of his little girl, called Matilda.)
Matilda is a classic Aussie name, it's never been number 1 of the the top 100 or anything, but its always around. It works for both a little girl (Tilly is the cutest nickname) and a sophisticated woman.
- Personal experiences with the name Matilda: | Edit
Having breakfast in a fashionable cafe in London this morning, I overheard a mother calling after her toddler, "Matilda! Matilda! Tillie!" Do I smell a trend?
My sister is called Matilda and it suits her really well. I think it is a very bright, friendly and happy name.
My name is Matilda and I love it :D I have never been teased and would say it is the perfect name to call your child.
We all thought my sister was nuts when she named her first child, Matilda Elaine. Such an old sounding name for a tiny, gorgeous baby! Mattie is in college now and has really grown into her name. She's an old soul!
My baby cousin is named Matilda. We call her Tillie :)
- Nicknames for Matilda: | Edit
Tilda, Tillie, Tilly, Mattie, Milly, Millie, Tia, Tildy, Mimi, Mally, Molly, Tilsie, Tess, Tilla
- Meanings and history of the name Matilda: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Matilda: | Edit
Matilda Joslyn Gage, 19th century American feminist
Mathilda Gelhaar, Swedish opera singer
Matilda Coxe Stevenson, American ethnologist and author
Empress Matilda, the first female ruler of England (she ruled for a few months during The Anarchy)
- Matilda in song, story & screen: | Edit
Matilda, title character of the children's book "Matilda" by Roald Dahl, published 1988.
"Waltzing Matilda" is an Australian folk song written by Banjo Paterson in 1895.
"Matilda", song by Harry Belafonte, also done by the Grateful Dead
Name Lists Featuring Matilda
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
Global Popularity of the Name Matilda
- #7 in Finland
- #13 in Australia (Victoria)
- #14 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #28 in Sweden
- #62 in England
- #80 in Germany
- #167 in Scotland
- #244 in Norway
- #829 in United States