Melissa: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Melissa
Origin of the name Melissa:
Derived from the Greek melissa (a bee). The 16th century Italian poet Ariosto used the name for the good fairy who protected Bradamante and helped Ruggero escape from Atlante upon the hippogriff in the poem Orlando Furioso.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Melissa? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Melissa
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden for 2012
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Melissa
- Comments and insights on the name Melissa: | Edit
Alternate spelling: Milissa, Mellissa, Mellisa, Melyssa, M'lissa, Malysa, Malisa
- Personal experiences with the name Melissa: | Edit
My name is Melissa but I have always gone by Lisa until recently . I have known of quite a few girls named Melissa who went by Lisa as a shortened derivative of Melissa. I started going by Melissa a few years ago and I love it !Even though Lisa is a pretty name, Melissa is less common and I think it is sexier. It also has a classy, patrician quality.
Once upon a portion of time in history or characterized by particular events or circumstances, I used to know a girl named Melissa.
She was the wicked witch of the south east land of Australia (where, according to Vandana, the Sahara Desert is).
- Nicknames for Melissa: | Edit
Mo, Mel-Mel, Missy, Mel, Lissa, Emme, Miss, Melis, Milly, Lilly, Milli, Melly, Missa, Medu-Japanese version
- Meanings and history of the name Melissa: | Edit
"In Greek mythology, Melissa is the name of one of the nymphs that fed Zeus honey as an infant while hiding him from his father, Cronus. When Cronus discovered this, he turned her into a worm. After Zeus came into power, he changed her into a queen bee, not being able to change her from an insect form."
found at ~http://www.themelissagarden.com/
- Famous real-life people named Melissa: | Edit
Melissa Ponzio - American actress (Plays Melissa McCall on MTV's Teen Wolf.)
Melissa Rose "Melrose" Bickerstaff, American model
Melissa Joan Hart, American actress
Melissa Etheridge, American singer
Melissa Hill, Irish author
Melissa Claire Egan, American actress
Melissa George, Australian-American actress
Melissa Rosenberg, American actress
Melissa Ordway, American actress
Melissa Gilbert, American actress
Melissa McCarthy, American actress
Melissa McCarthy World Irish Dancing Champion
Melissa Bugeja, Fashion designer
- Melissa in song, story & screen: | Edit
Melissa McCall - From MTV's Teen Wolf (Played by Melissa Ponzio.)
"Melissa"-- Allman Brothers Band
Melissa, from Swindle by Gordon Korman
Melissa computer virus (1999)
Melissa- Full Metal Alchemist (one of the openings)