Meryl Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Meryl? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Meryl
Contribute your knowledge to the name Meryl
- Comments and insights on the name Meryl: | Edit
My mom's name!
My niece goes by this, although her real name is Maryellen.
- Personal experiences with the name Meryl: | Edit
My aunt's name
- Nicknames for Meryl: | Edit
Mer, Merie, Mer-Mer, M
- Meanings and history of the name Meryl: | Edit
A variant of Muriel, which is a Medieval English form of a Celtic name which was probably related to the Irish name MUIRGEL. The Normans brought the name Muriel to England from Brittany. In the modern era it was popularized by a character from Dinah Craik's novel 'John Halifax, Gentleman' (1856). Muirgel means "bright sea", derived from Gaelic muir "sea" and geal "bright".
- Famous real-life people named Meryl: | Edit
American actress: Meryl Streep (born Mary Louise)
Meryl Davis - olympic gold medalist ice dancer (along with partner Charlie White)
- Meryl in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!