Mirja Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Miriam:
Hebrew name of debated meaning. Many believe it to mean "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow." However, some sources cite the alternative definitions of "rebellion," "wished-for child," and "mistress or lady of the sea." The name is borne in the Bible by the sister of Moses and Aaron. After the Exodus, she came to be known as a prophetess to the people.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Name Lists Featuring Mirja
Contribute your knowledge to the name Mirja
- Comments and insights on the name Mirja: | Edit
It is a challenge for people to say
- Personal experiences with the name Mirja: | Edit
Growing up with such a unique name wasn't always easy. But as an adult it is great having a name no one else has!
- Nicknames for Mirja: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Mirja: | Edit
Finnish form of MIRIAM
- Famous real-life people named Mirja: | Edit
Mirja Boes - a German comedian
- Mirja in song, story & screen: | Edit