Molly: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Molly
Origin of the name Molly:
Originally a pet form of Mary, Molly is now bestowed as an independent given name in its own right.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Molly? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Molly
- Comments and insights on the name Molly: | Edit
Molly is a beautiful name!
Molly is my favorite name and #1 on the list for a girl!
- Personal experiences with the name Molly: | Edit
I've been a Molly for nearly 40 years now and I love it. When giving strangers my name (filling in forms etc) people so often comment on what a lovely name I have. It's familiar and easy to spell (although I *hate* Mollie). It's versatile: it can sound smart and professional or relaxed and comfortable. Easy to live with and I've never regretted it once, even though my mom did find it on a grave stone!
My name is Molly. Growing up, I was the only Molly I knew. There were no dogs named Molly back then. My name is a "nick name" for Mary. I did not really like my name growing up as it was so unusual. I love my name now. I think of it as a warm friendly open type of name.
I named my daughter Molly, and I'd say that William Gibson’s Molly plus Molly Ivins were important influences in making the name seem more smart, tough, sophisticated and adult. The name needs a nudge in this direction, IMO, because it otherwise risks being too cute, friendly, and naive-sounding. I paired it with a big, imposing middle name with family significance: she's Molly Mehitabel or occasionally Molly-bel.
I love names like Ruby, Hazel and Olive, and had always expected to use them for my kids. But these names had become stereotypical hipster baby names by the time I had my daughter, which pushed me toward the more "normal" old fashioned name of Molly.
I named my daughter Molly. Someone called her "Molly-Boo" once when she was a baby and seven years later we still call her Molly-Boo.
My daughters name is Molly as well. I absolutely love it but she hates it with a passion! She has heard of so many dogs named molly she tells me i gave her a dogs name..:(
LOL I absolutely agree about the dogs name..My Molly (9) asks why there are no other people called Molly just dogs... She has a brother and 3 sisters Jett, Ella, Willow, Allani
I used to like the name Molly, but now the more I think about it, the more I dislike it.
My name, and I absolutely hate it. An ugly, terrible-sounding name. And of course I had to get stuck with M-o-l-l-y, the worst way to spell it.
Whenever I tell people I hate my name, they say, "Aw, why? It's such a cute name." THAT'S why. I don't WANT a cute name, I want a decent, respectable name. Molly might seem like a good name when she's a baby, but not when she's older. Please don't name your baby Molly, and if you must, make it a nickname for something else so she can use her whole name, or another nickname when she's older. It sounds immature and babyish. It sounds like a shopping mall, or mauling someone, and if I never hear "Good golly Miss Molly" ever again, it's not soon enough. And although these connections are common enough to matter much, I hate knowing my name means a gangster's girlfriend, or a drug, or a prostitute.
- Nicknames for Molly: | Edit
Moll, Molls, Molz
Moo (Molly Moo)
Miss Molly-all of my friends calls her that first time they meet her, without even knowing that other people call her that
My daughter's nickname is Balls but she's a softball pitcher. Lovely.
- Meanings and history of the name Molly: | Edit
The name Molly was traditionally brought to life as a persons name by Mother Catherine and Father Francis in the 19th Century.
Molly was traditionally a nickname for Mary - back when every other girl was named Mary.
- Famous real-life people named Molly: | Edit
Molly Ringwald, American actress
Molly Quinn, American actress
Molly Shannon, American actress
Mollie Birney, daughter of Meredith Baxter and David Birney, and twin sister of Peter Birney
- Molly in song, story & screen: | Edit
Molly is a screen name in the film - Happy Days. It was directed by Alan Saunders in the early 1950's. She was a ginger, long haired, freckled geek with no personality.
Molly Weasley - matriarch of the Weasley family in the Harry Potter series
Molly Gibson - heroine of the novel Wives And Daughters (character's given name was Mary; Molly is the traditional nickname.)
Molly Millions - Razorgirl assassin in William Gibson's Neuromancer.
Molly McIntire-American Girl doll and heroine of the "Molly" series of books
There is a band called the Molly McGuires.
Flogging Molly, an Irish American Celtic punk band
Molly, a character from anime series, Sonic X
Molly, Big Comfy Couch
The Unsinkable Molly Brown - movie and real life heroine
Name Lists Featuring Molly
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010