Myrna Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Myrna:
Anglicized form of the Irish Muirne (affection, beloved).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Myrna? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Myrna
Contribute your knowledge to the name Myrna
- Comments and insights on the name Myrna: | Edit
Originated from the Irish, as the name of a queen. Also popularized amongst primarily Spanish-speaking families, with the pronunciation changed to m(ear) n(uh.)
- Personal experiences with the name Myrna: | Edit
My daughter's name, Myrna Tempest. She is our beloved storm :-)
- Nicknames for Myrna: | Edit
Mahna-Mahna ( The Muppet Show,) Myrn (pronounced like Verne,) My-My (or Mi-Mi,)
- Meanings and history of the name Myrna: | Edit
Ooriginated from the Irish, as the name of a queen. Also popularized in primarily Spanish-speaking families, with the pronunciation changed to m(ear)n(uh.)
- Famous real-life people named Myrna: | Edit
Myrna Loy (actress);
- Myrna in song, story & screen: | Edit
Myrna Minkoff, girlfriend of Ignatius J. Reilly (whom he refers to as "that minx") in the John Kennedy Toole novel "A Confederacy of Dunces".