Natalie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Natalie:
From the Latin Natalia, a name derived from diēs nātālis (natal day, Christmas), which was originally given to children born on Christmas Day.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Natalie? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Natalie
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Czech Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Czech Republic
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Czech Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Czech Republic, 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway for 2012
- Czech Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Czech Republic 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Natalie
- Comments and insights on the name Natalie: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Natalie: | Edit
My name is Natalie and I like it, but I don't like the fact that it means "born at Christmas" because I was born in August. I have had a few teachers and friends ask if I was born in December. I think the name suits me pretty well, and there are only 2 or 3 girls named Natalie at my school. I really like the nickname Nat because it is what most of my friends call me. I also like the fact that there are rarely problems with the pronunciation.
I like it, it's a nice name and not too common.
I know a girl at my school named Natalie, but she goes by Nataliea because she says Natalie is too ancient.
- Nicknames for Natalie: | Edit
Nat, Natty, Tally, Natta, Atty, Atta, Allie, Talie, Tali, Nattie, Lee-Lee
- Meanings and history of the name Natalie: | Edit
The name Natalie derives from the Latin word "natalis" which means "birthday". The Greek word "anatoly" to which "natalis" is related, means "sunrise" so the name Natalie etomologically means 'start', 'born' or 'sunrise'. The meaning of Natalie can also be interpreted as "born at Christmas".
- Famous real-life people named Natalie: | Edit
Natalie Portman - American actress
Natalie Cole - American singer
Natalie Wood - American actress
Natalie Imbruglia - Australian singer
Natalie Maines - American musician
Natalie Merchant - American musician
Natalie Dormer - English actress
Natalie Alvarado - American singer
- Natalie in song, story & screen: | Edit
The Journey of Natty Gann, 1985
Natalie Teeger, character on "Monk"
Natalie Green, character on the sitcom "The Facts of Life"
Natalie by Josh Kelley
Believe Me Natalie by The Killers
Natalie by Bruno Mars
Natalie Ford, Mother of Drake Ford the Donut Salesman in the movie "Where is Like Lemons"