Nicole: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Nicole
Origin of the name Nicole:
A feminine form of Nicolas, which is from the Greek Nikolaos, a compound name composed of the elements nikē (victory) and laos (the people): hence, "victory of the people."
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Nicole? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Nicole
- Comments and insights on the name Nicole: | Edit
My given name is Nicole, but I think my parents only called me that for a week! I've been Nikki pretty much since birth and now Nicole sounds way too grown up for me.
This works well as a middle name because the emphasis is on the second syllable (like Marie).
- Personal experiences with the name Nicole: | Edit
(1) I have a good friend with this name but she spells it Nichole. I wish it was my name. (2)I know a Nicole she is very emotional and girly.
In my experience Nicole is commonly used as a middle name, perhaps because the stress on the second syllable makes it flow well with most first names.
My name is Nicole, which I have never minded. I think it's the best of the 80s craze names. The only thing that annoys me is when people spell it with an 'H,' how I was never the only 'Nicole' in my classes growing up, and trying to rid people of using the nickname 'Nikki' once outgrowing it. Overall, though it's not very unique, I have always liked my name.
Someone I know is named Nicole, she is very annoying and thinks she is so much better than everyone else. Sometimes she can be nice but mostly she is pretty obnoxious.
My middle name is Nicole, and as far as middle names goes its a pretty good one. Funny story, two of the neighbor girls who I went to high school with also have the middle name of Nicole. One day while getting a ride home from one of our parents, we got into a fender bender. when the police came and took down our full names, Brooke Nicole (me), Jessica Nicole and Amber Nicole, they thouht we were playinga joke on them.
A girl in my class is called Nicole. She's Danish and is pretty quiet, but she's obnoxious, snotty and acts too good to even breathe the same air as you. She's really popular, but I think that's only because she's pretty, because she's not the smartest in the class by far (I'm the smartest! :D) And she only allows her best friend (another popular girl) to call her "Nikki" Nobody else is allowed to call her that.
My daughter's middle name is Nicole. She once chastised me for choosing such a "pedestrian" middle name, but I informed her that her middle name was actually inspired by one of my favorite high-school buddies. She was very athletic, smart, fun, and cute. She went by "Nikki" but she was the actual inspiration for my daughter's middle name. And yes, it does flow well with her first name, Rachel. Nicole was a very popular first name back in the late 80s-early 90s as well, but was not so popular when I was growing up. I think it's a pretty name.
My dad wanted to name me Nicole so he could call me Nikki, but my mom didn't like it. It did end up as my middle name, though. My mom wanted my name to be spelled uniquely so she added an extra "l" to it. Kacey Nicolle
- Nicknames for Nicole: | Edit
Nik / Nic
Nikki /Niki / Nicky / Nicci
Coli / Colie / Coley
ColieBear / ColiBear
- Meanings and history of the name Nicole: | Edit
This is my name..common, but not too common like Jennifer
Of Greek origin, it means "victorious people".
- Famous real-life people named Nicole: | Edit
Nicole Kidman, actress
Nicole Brown Simpson, murder victim
Nicole Richie, "famous for being famous"
Nicole Parker, actress
Nicholle Tom, actress
Nicole Scherzinger, singer
Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi, reality television personality
- Nicole in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Nicole", song by Point Blank
Nicole Diver, main character the novel Tender is the Night.
Name Lists Featuring Nicole
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal