Nina Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Nina:
A Russian diminutive form of Anne (gracious, full of grace) and Antonia.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Nina? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Nina
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland 2014
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German)
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian)
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria 2012
- Slovak Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Slovakia 2014
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland 2012
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Slovak Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Slovakia
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Nina
- Comments and insights on the name Nina: | Edit
Aina, Anni, Inna, Nina, and Nain are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
We named our new daughter Nina, and have had nothing but positive responses in her first six months of life. Everyone seems to know the name (how to spell it, how to say it), and all we get are compliments. At the same time, there doesn't seem to be any particular preconception tied to the sound of the name, making it a nice wide-open space for our Nina to make the most of. We looked for a name that would suit a baby, a toddler, a school-aged kid, a teen, a young adult, etc etc. And we feel we've chosen well. It's a name that seems equally appropriate for a scientist, a Supreme Court justice, a punk rock bass player, or whatever she wants to be... (EDIT: she just turned 3, and there has been absolutely no "buyer's remorse" about her name. Also, it's fun that it fits in a set with "Dada" and "Mama," when spoken by a toddler.)
What I like about my name, Nina, is that it is so international. I am 31 and over my life time I have met Nina's from Russia, German, Spain, Mexico, Puerto Rico and even Vietnam. I love to study other cultures and international folks seem to open up more b/c it seems familiar to them. It's also a name people remember b/c not everyone has it. I always here, "I knew a Nina once..." and the occasional 'Nina, Pinta Santa Maria' :)
- Personal experiences with the name Nina: | Edit
Sometimes pronounced with a long 'I' sound..."Nine-uh"
The only time anyone misspelled my name was once, when someone wrote Neena.
Same! What is up with those people?
Name your child Nina. It's awesome being named Nina. I know because that's my name.
- Nicknames for Nina: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Nina: | Edit
Nina is also a Hindi name meaning "pretty eyes."
...and the name of a Babylonian goddess
...and a nickname for names ending in -nina, like Antonina and Penina.
Native American name meaning "mighty warrior"
On a lot of baby name sites you will find that it says it is of Spanish origin and means little girl. That is INCORRECT, on spanish baby names sites it also shows that it is Russian and a diminutive form of Anne or Antonia. The Spanish word meaning little girl is Niña, ñ is a completely different LETTER in the spanish alphabet, therefore creating a completely different word, please don't think you are naming your child "little girl"l by choosing Nina, you aren't.
You ARE naming a baby girl, little girl if you call her Nina. In Italian, Nina means little girl. My Italian grandmother, born in Italy, was named Nina as was my older sister and my daughter is named for both of them.
- Famous real-life people named Nina: | Edit
Nina Ariadna, American actress
Nina Arvesen, American actress
Nina Axelrod, American actress
Nina Barr Wheeler, American artist
Nina Berman, American photographer
Nina Byers, American physicist
Nina Byron, American silent film actress
Nina Etkin, American anthropologist and botanist
Nina Dobrev, Bulgarian-born actress who stars in the vampire diaries
St. Nina, Equal of the Apostles and Enlightener of Georgia
- Nina in song, story & screen: | Edit
Nina was a character in Jodi Picoult's novelsl "Nineteen Minutes" and "Perfect Match". Unfortunately, she was a murderer (but she was a good mother, at least!)
New York Times' illustrator Al Hirschfeld hid the name Nina (his daughter's name) in most of his caricatures. Readers of the newspaper would delight in counting the "Ninas" in every one of his drawings in the Sunday NY Times.
"Nina Pretty Ballerina", song by ABBA
Nina, a character in the PlayStation role-playing game Suikoden II
Nina Ash, from the American television series Angel
Nina Bibikova, from the novel The Man from Barbarossa
Nina Brown, from the BBC soap opera EastEnders
Nina Caliente, character from the Sims series of games.
Nina Callas, from The Clique series of books
Nina Campbell, from the American sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun
Nina Cassady, from the American drama Law & Order
Nina Cortex, from the Crash Bandicoot series of games
Nina Cortlandt, from the soap opera All My Children
"Nina", song by Ed Sheeran
Nina Einstein, from the anime Code Geass
Nina Harris, from the BBC soap opera EastEnders
Nina Jarvis, from the USA Network science fiction television series The 4400
Nina Martin, the main character from the Anubis House series
Nina Myers, a terrorism analyst in the TV series 24
Nina Sakura, from Ultra Maniac
Nina Sayers, character from the 2010 movie "Black Swan"
Nina Sharp, Chief Operating Officer of Massive Dynamic in the TV series Fringe
Nina Tucker, from the Australian soap opera Neighbours
Nina Van Horn, from the American sitcom Just Shoot Me!
Nina Wáng, from the anime Mai Otome
Nina Webster, from the soap opera The Young and the Restless
Nina Williams, a fictional assassin from the Tekken series of games
Nina Windia, from the Breath of Fire series of games
Nina Yamada, from Mamotte! Lollipop