Olivia: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Olivia
Origin of the name Olivia:
An elaboration of Olive (olive tree). The name was used by Shakespeare as the name of the heiress in the play Twelfth Night.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Olivia? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Olivia
- Comments and insights on the name Olivia: | Edit
My name is Olivia, I was given the name in the late 1980s. It was not a popular name then. My mother chose it because she didn't want me to have any nicknames. Until adulthood I have only allowed my closest friends to call me Oli or just plane O (my Brazilian friends would call me "toothpick Olivia" as that was what Olive Oil, Popeye's girlfriend was called in Portuguese). I refuse to be called anything else. People that don't know me closely may only call me Olivia. I am proud of my name and everything is stands for. When I was young, I was disappointed at the lack of Olivia stickers or pencils or whatever else that could have had my name on it but didn't. Now I wish the name wasn't nearly as popular. I can say, more than being proud of my name and my late brother's name Alexander, that my name really describes who I am. Highly intelligent, beautiful, creative, sophisticated, well traveled, and above all peaceful. I find it interesting that these other passages about my name describe themselves or daughters with green eyes, olive skin, and curly hair. All those criteria fit me with the exception that I am now a blonde. It is a beautiful name and meant for special girls! I agree with the comment below me, we are naturally quiet, but I wouldn't go so far as saying we are shy.
My daughter Olivia is quiet, and shy at first. You think she isn't listening when she really is, and she has a great memory and sense of direction. Her friends call her Liv and Olive. She's got light brown hair and bright green eyes, and Olivia seemed like the perfect name right away. We've got Irish and Italian relatives who love her name as well (Olivia Bridget). Definitely one of my favorite names.
Olivia "travels well" as evidenced by her high ranking in quite a few countries. It has the same spelling in English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Finnish, German and Hungarian, making it a great choice for parents who anticipate a lot of travel or who want a name that extended family members around the world can easily pronounce.
Olivia is very stylish right now- it has the same charm as names like Hannah and Emma and the cute nickname Livvy and Liv. There's not many names that sound like Olivia, so it's not easily mixed up with other names.
I consider the name Olivia to be a feminine classic. It has a timeless quality to it & one of my favorite things about this name is that it seems to age amazingly well; I think Olivia is an adorable name for an infant girl as well as a sophisticated, beautiful name for an older woman! I also love several of its nickname possibilities. Plus, it's all girl--very feminine, sophisticated, and beautiful.
Olivia is a very beatiful and elegant name. When I think of an Olivia I think of dark elegance and striking beauty.
I have a daughter Olivia, she is very easy going and laid back, as well as being intelligent and friendly. The meaning of 'peace' truly fits her. And like many people on here have described, she is dark haired-masses of ringlets, with big beautiful dark eyes and olive skin.
My name is Olivia and I love it. I'm so proud that my wonderful parents picked it.
They said when I was born I just looked like an Olivia and not anything else.
I usually use my nickname,Livvy,when I'm with my friends but if I'm out with my
mum or dad and there friends ask my name I say Olivia and I always get complimented on it.
Virtual high five to all you Olivia out there !! :)
I had always wanted to name my daughter after the mother on the Waltons, and I did so in 1990, when the name was still rare, little knowing it would be just before the huge "Olivia" wave hit. The name has other associations here in Europe--it is seen as quite a sexy name and at least one famous German drag queen uses it. It is the sort of lovely-sounding name that makes a plain woman more intriguing and a pretty woman even more beautiful, and it always sounds intelligent.
- - -
Our first daughter is named Olivia Belle. We've always loved the name Olivia, but as she grows bigger and brighter we've become increasingly satisfied with our choice. She gets lots of compliments on her name, and with her dark hair, big eyes, and surprisingly toothy grin (for an 18-month-old), she sure is a charmer. Despite its rising popularity, I've yet to actually meet an Olivia anywhere near our daughter's age.
- - -
My name is Olivia and it's funny because above it says "intelligent" and I was very intelligent through elementary school. I was named Olivia before the big Olivia hit. Someone else commented on how Olivia means "elf army", and I happen to be in the 18th percent range for height for teens my age.
My name is Olivia and I really like it. I didn't so much when I was younger but I have come to appreciate it. It can be so many things - cute, sophisticated, sexy, etc. I also really like the meaning ("peace"). It's interesting so many new little ones are being named this now. Not many people had it when I was growing up. I only ever met one other girl with my name. Now it's interesting to meet all these little Olivias!
My best friend's name is Olivia and I love it...I wish it was my name hehe
My cousin's name is Olivia. She's a loony! :P
Olivia is #3 on the list of top 100 cool baby girl names in the baby name book "Cool Names" by Pamela Redmond Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz.
We named our daughter Olivia, not knowing how popular it was and is. But it completely fits her-beautiful dark haired charming girl.
I love the name Olivia! I hope by the time I have children Olivia will go out of style because I'll definitely name my daughter Olivia.
I love the name Olivia, but my husband said he thinks of Popeye's Olive Oil when he hears the name... hmmm... I don't really like that.
I named my daughter Olivia Claire, Olivia for her great grandmother whose birthday was only one day earlier than hers. We call her "Livi" as often as Olivia. She is sweet, talented and beautiful, and her name says it all.
My best friend's name is Olivia, but we always call her Liv. She is very silly and nice. My other friend's name is Olivia but she is very rude, and mean.
- Personal experiences with the name Olivia: | Edit
Many of the Olivias I have met are very beautiful and intelligent. When I hear the name Olivia, I see a pretty girl who's smart.
I have loved the name Olivia since I was a little girl. It was never very popular and now all of a sudden it's the hot name! I am sad because I liked it for its beauty and originality.
We named our first daughter Olivia Renee Eleanor. Olivia was chosen not only because we love the sound of it but also because her Daddy has always wanted his first daughter to be an Olivia since he was a little boy. We chose two middle names to honor myself (her mom) and her grandma. We love this name and it fits her perfectly! :-)
I knew an Olivia and she is insane. Like clinically insane. She has problems.
I know an Olivia a few years older than me, she's a Goth and goes by the name Livvi. What a legend xD
I also know an Olivia - she's one of my best friend's little sister's. She's a cutie, she's got a little brown fringe and a little round face and a little brown bob. Her sister's name is Georgia.
My first girlfriend's name was Olivia. She was beautiful, with long curly brown hair and the prettiest green eyes and she was a tiny little thing. We started dating when we were fourteen. She passed away of Hodgkin's lymphoma when we were sixteen. I miss you, Liv.
- Nicknames for Olivia: | Edit
Lily, Livia, Libby, Liddy,Vivia, Viv, Vee,Liwy, Livvy/Livy/Livi Lulu, Olive,Lia, Via Ollie, Livylu, Liv, Liver, Gax, lolly, Olivy, Oliverz
- Meanings and history of the name Olivia: | Edit
I have discovered from research that Olivia means "elf army". Olivia is also known to mean "bringer of peace".
Meaning "The Olive Tree." Extends help, like a branch.
Saint Olivia was a horrifying creature riddled with Ebola. She lived in the 9th century. When she was 7 years old she had her period and burped at the same time. Impressed by her killer farts she stayed home stinking up the house.
However, after she begun to perform miracle dumps on the local sick, many Muslims converted to Christianity. Consequently she was imprisoned and tortured. She was sentenced to be burped to death, but the burps would not touch her. She was then barfed on killing her. Her feast day 10 June.
The entire story of the meaning of Olivia was recently discussed in this blog post (scroll down to Comment #20): http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2011/9/overheard-in-nameland
- Famous real-life people named Olivia: | Edit
Olivia Wild- American Actor, Model and producer
Olivia Newton-John - Australian singer and actress
Olivia de Havilland - American actress
Olivia Culpo - Miss USA 2012
Olivia Wilde - American actress
Olivia Thirlby - American actress
Olivia Munn - American actress
Olivia De Berardinis - American painter
Olivia Ward Bush - American author
Olivia Goldsmith - American author
Olivia Holt - American actress and singer
- Olivia in song, story & screen: | Edit
Olivia Pope,character on the TV series "Scandal"
Olivia Benson, character on TV series "Law and Order: SVU"
Olivia Burke, character on TV series "Gossip Girl"
Olivia Dunham, character on TV series "Fringe"
Olivia Kendall, character on TV series "The Cosby Show" in the 1980s-90s
Olivia Walton, character on TV series "The Waltons" in the 1970s
Olivia King Dale, character on TV series "Road to Avonlea" in the 1990s
Olivia Flaversham, character in the Disney movie The Great Mouse Detective
"Olivia" picture books by Ian Falconer about a creative young pig
Olivia is the beautiful Countess in Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night"
Olivia was Gordon's younger sister on Sesame Street in the '70s and '80s
Olivia is a main character in the movie The Great Mouse Detective
"Olivia", song by Green Day
Olivia Ferrante, character from Judith Rossner's novel, Olivia.
Olivia the pig in Olivia The Pig a popular childrens book.
eid mubarak sms 2014
Name Lists Featuring Olivia
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Ontario)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Ontario), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2013
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia) for 2013