Ombretta Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Ombretta? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Ombretta
Contribute your knowledge to the name Ombretta
- Comments and insights on the name Ombretta: | Edit
Pronouncing the name is important. The O is long, Om-bre-ta.
- Personal experiences with the name Ombretta: | Edit
The best thing about my name, is everyone has always told me they love it. I was never teased about my name as a child, and it is quite unique.
- Nicknames for Ombretta: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Ombretta: | Edit
Ombretta is an Italian name, typically believed to mean "shadow." However, the etymology is uncertain, as the name first appeared in an Italian romance novel.
- Famous real-life people named Ombretta: | Edit
Ombretta Colli, Italian singer and politician
- Ombretta in song, story & screen: | Edit
The name originated in an Italian romance novel, "Piccolo mondo antico", written by Antonio Fogazzaro in 1895. The name belongs to the child of the main characters, who unfortunately drowns. The novel was made into a film in 1941. The film is credited with an increase in usage of the name whenever it broadcast.