Petra Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Petra:
Feminine form of Peter, from the Late Latin Petrus, which is derived from petros (a stone) or petra (a rock).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Petra? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Petra
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2014
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2010
- Bosnian Herzegovinian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Bosnia Herzegovinia 2014
- Bosnian Herzegovinian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Bosnia Herzegovinia
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
Contribute your knowledge to the name Petra
- Comments and insights on the name Petra: | Edit
Petra is the name of a 100 b.c. city in Jordan carved into a red sandstone mountain.
- Personal experiences with the name Petra: | Edit
Hi my name is petra ,i was named after my fathers mother whom i never met. My parents both are born in mexico north east ,north west ,Tamualipas and neuvolion they came to USA recieved A # to work with permision in the 50's i have proof here. Through out time my parents worked hard labor field work until my father went to school to learn english and then welding my mother continued working field hand work until the day she contracted skin cancer from pestacides. USA gave her the citezen ship in 80's along with her citizen ship. My father was assasined in 1987 . I remember speaking with my father about my name it was inbarasiing in school every time roll call came i was the laugh of the class room they say pee-tr-a id say p-etra my father often mentioned to me they migbt call you peytra peetra thats not your name you are mexicana americana you name isP-etra roll the r ,nick names petrita,petronila,petrona, growing up my friends called me peti,pep,peppy,p they could not pernounce p etra thankyou sincerly petra petrita
- Nicknames for Petra: | Edit
Peti, Pet ,Petri ,Pepi, Pepe, Pepper,petronila ,petrona,petrita,prietita.
- Meanings and history of the name Petra: | Edit
Petra is a feminine form of the male name petrita petronila,petrona,pete,peter,peppy,pepper, meaning "rock". Others include Petronella, Petula, and Peta
- Famous real-life people named Petra: | Edit
Petra Collins, Canadian photographer.
Petra Němcová, Czech fashion model.
Petra Haden, American singer & violinist.
Petra Kelly, German politician and human rights activist.
Petra Kvitova, Czech tennis player.
Petra Mede, Swedish comedienne
Petra,Mexican American ,Temples
- Petra in song, story & screen: | Edit
Petra Gregory, 7-year-old character in the book "The Weight of Silence", the best friend of Calli Clark, raped by her father's student.
Petra Arkanian - member of Ender's "jeesh" in Orson Scott Card's Ender Sequence
Petra Greene, a character in Rachel Maude's "Posuer" series
A character from Chasing Vermeer
Petra Ral, a character from the manga and anime series Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin
Petra Solano, a character from Jane the Virgin
Petra,the seventh wonders of the world hand carved city of stone 100bc was found burried many tresures billions of it all hand carved city of stone red