Phoebe: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Phoebe
Origin of the name Phoebe:
Feminine form of the Greek Phoibos (bright one), which is derived from phoibos (bright). Phoebe is found in Greek mythology as a name for Artemis, the goddess of the moon. In poetry, Phoebe is the moon personified.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Phoebe? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Phoebe
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
Contribute your knowledge to the name Phoebe
- Comments and insights on the name Phoebe: | Edit
In Canada, it is a unique name w/out being so outlandish no one ever heard it before. Great reception to it.
- Personal experiences with the name Phoebe: | Edit
In 2007 my brother and his wife named their first daughter Phoebe Hannah.
DD named Phoebe. People think its spelling is difficult, but DD could spell it before she started school. She loves her name.
My name is Phoebe. I am 34, & I have never met another Phoebe my age. I hated it growing up, and got all the nicknames listed below. But it grew on me as an adult, and now I love it. It is truly mine, and perfectly unique. My middle name is Veronica, and I like that too. Thanks to my parents for a beautiful and rare name!
My little sisters name is Phoebe. She is six and really cute! Her full name is Phoebe Amelia, and my name is Hannah Rose. The name only began to grow in popularity when she was born (2005) so we know a lot of younger kids named Phoebe. We were the trend setters!
My name is Phoebe Rae, and I'm in my teens, I've always loved it, and although it may annoy other Phoebe's out there, I love the references to the show friends :)
My oldest daughter is Phoebe Marie. She loves her name and so do most of her friends. Haven't had any bad experiences with this name and hoping to keep it that way. :)
My name is Phoebe, but I'm mostly called Phoebz. I used to spell it Phoebs, but then I went to sleepaway camp and there was a councelor named Meebz. I decided that Z is cooler than S, and now I'm Phoebz. I love my name.
- Nicknames for Phoebe: | Edit
Fi (pronunciated "Fee"), Phea
- Meanings and history of the name Phoebe: | Edit
Beyond its literal Greek meaning ("Brightness" "shining"), she was a Titan in Greek mythology. There is a bird genus Sayornis, commonly called phoebes (Eastern Phoebe, Black Phoebe, Say's Phoebe are the species). So it can be considered an ornithological name like Wren, Robin, Lark, etc., too.
Phoebe is also another name for the Greek goddess Artemis, in her aspect as the moon goddess.
Phoebe in Hebrew is pure.
Saint Phoebe (1st century) was a deaconess of the Church at Cenchreae, the port of Corinth. She was recommended to the Christian congregation at Rome by St. Paul, who praised her for her assistance to him and to many others. She brought Paul's epistle to the Romans to Rome with her. Her feast day is September 3rd. First female ordained deacon mentioned in the Bible.
- Famous real-life people named Phoebe: | Edit
Phoebe Belle Cates - American actress
Phoebe Snow - American singer-songwriter
Phoebe Tonkin - Australian actress
Phoebe Mills - American athlete
Phoebe Pearl (b. 2007) - daughter of American writer Jennifer Weiner
Phoebe Adele (b. 2002) - daughter of American businessman Bill Gates
Phoebe Sylvia Rachel (b. 2011) - daughter of American actor Jim True-Frost
- Phoebe in song, story & screen: | Edit
Phoebe B. Beebe, a boat in the Beany & Cecil comics
Phoebe Buffay, character on TV show "Friends," played by Lisa Kudrow
Phoebe is the maid/companion/best friend of the heroine Rose Campbell in the books "Eight Cousins" and "Rose in Bloom" by Louisa May Alcott.
Phoebe Halliwell, from the TV series "Charmed," played by Alyssa Milano
Phoebe is one of Ms. Frizzle's students in the animated series "The Magic School Bus"
Phoebe is Holden Caulfield's little sister in "The Catcher in the Rye" by J. D. Salinger.
Phoebe Heyerdahl from "Hey Arnold!"
"Phoebe" is a character in "As You Like It" by William Shakespeare.
"Phoebe in Wonderland," 2008 movie
Phoebe is one of the Hunters of Artemis in "Percy Jackson and the Olympians," written by Rick Riodan.