Quetzali Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Quetzali? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Quetzali
Contribute your knowledge to the name Quetzali
- Comments and insights on the name Quetzali: | Edit
Can also be spelled "Quetzaly;" this is my friend Graciela's middle name.
- Personal experiences with the name Quetzali: | Edit
My sister and my father's friend are both named Quetzali.
- Nicknames for Quetzali: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Quetzali: | Edit
The name is derived from the Quetzal, which is the national bird of Guatemala.
I like the name and all, but...isn't Quetzal the name of the big, wise green dragon on "Dragon Tales"?
Probably. "Quetzal" means "long tail feather" in Nahuatl, the native language of the Aztecs. However, it is more commonly encountered today as Quetzalcoatl, meaning "feathered serpent," one of the main Aztec gods, bringer of culture and wisdom. As a "feathered serpent," many people think of Quetzalcoatl as the Mesoamerican dragon. So a big wise green dragon could be Quetzalcoatl, or Quetzal.
So the name Quetzal can mean both a large, beautiful feather, and a powerful source of knowledge.
- Famous real-life people named Quetzali: | Edit
- Quetzali in song, story & screen: | Edit