Rebekka: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Rebekka
Origin of the name Rebecca:
From the Ecclesiastic Late Latin and Ecclesiastic Greek Rhebekka, which is derived from the Hebrew ribbqāh (noose), from rabak (to bind, to tie). The name, borne in the Bible by the wife of Isaac, was not used in England until after the Reformation in the 16th century.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Rebekka? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rebekka
- Comments and insights on the name Rebekka: | Edit
The Scandinavian version of "Rebecca", pronounced in the same way.
- Personal experiences with the name Rebekka: | Edit
I love that my name is spelled just a bit differently from any other Rebecca's that I have met.. I think it is a nice variation - traditional, but not usual.
- Nicknames for Rebekka: | Edit
Bekka, Bekks, Bek
- Meanings and history of the name Rebekka: | Edit
May mean "a snare".
- Famous real-life people named Rebekka: | Edit
Rebekka Guðleifsdóttir, Icelandic photographer
Rebekka Kadijk, Dutch volleyball player
Rebekka Mathew, Danish singer
- Rebekka in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!