Regina Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Regina:
A borrowing of the Latin Regina (queen), a feminine form of Rex (king), which has been in use since the Middle Ages.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Regina? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Regina
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2014
- Mexican Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Mexico
- Mexican Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Mexico 2013
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2010
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
Contribute your knowledge to the name Regina
- Comments and insights on the name Regina: | Edit
Please, do NOT use the pronunciation re-JIY-na. Just DON'T.
That's funny, because in an episode of "Seinfeld," they're trying to figure out the name of a woman whose name rhymes with a certain pair of genitalia, and I kept thinking it would be Regina (pronounced as described above)...but it turned out to be Mulva.
Is Mulva a name? Never heard of it!
I never heard of Mulva, but I had 2 great aunts named Melva and Velma.
The city in Saskatchewan is pronounced as above (i like "eye"), so parents considering the name may want to consider whether this geographical reference is likely to color pronunciations and perceptions of the name in their circles.
Regina is a gorgeous name. I love it!
- Personal experiences with the name Regina: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Regina: | Edit
Gina, Ginny, Reggie, Gini (JIY-nee)
- Meanings and history of the name Regina: | Edit
Latin origin. Means "queen." Sometimes used among Catholics to honor the Virgin Mary.
- Famous real-life people named Regina: | Edit
• Regina (born Regina Richards) American singer
• Regina Belle (American singer)
• Regina King (American actress)
• Regina Resnik (American opera singer)
• Regina Spektor (Russian-American singer-songwriter)
• St. Regina (Christian martyr and saint)
*best author and most inspiring person ever, Regina Calcaterra
- Regina in song, story & screen: | Edit
• Regina Mills, the Evil Queen on Once Upon a Time
• Regina George ('Mean Girls,' 2004 movie)
• The "Salve Regina" or "Hail Holy Queen" is a Marian prayer that is often sung as a hymn
• Regina 'Gina' Linetti, Character from "Brookly99"
• Regina Vasquez from the TV show, Switched At Birth