Rory: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Rory
Origin of the name Rory:
Anglcized form of Ruairí (red, rust-colored). The name was born by Rory O'Conor, the last high king of Ireland, who reigned from 1166 - 1170.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Rory? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rory
- Comments and insights on the name Rory: | Edit
A strong, spirited name for a girl.
- Personal experiences with the name Rory: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Rory: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Rory: | Edit
Rory is an Anglicized form of the Irish name Ruaidhri, which was the name of the last high king of Ireland, who got his name from his red hair ("ruaidh" means "red" and "ri" means "king").
- Famous real-life people named Rory: | Edit
Rory Elizabeth Katherine Kennedy (born December 12, 1968) is an award-winning documentary filmmaker and producer. She is the youngest of the eleven children of U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy and Ethel Skakel Kennedy.
- Rory in song, story & screen: | Edit
Lorelai "Rory" Gilmore, played by actress Alexis Bledel, is one of the main characters on the TV show, The Gilmore Girls.