Roxanne: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Roxanne
Origin of the name Roxanne:
From the Greek Roxanē, which is believed to be derived from the Persian Roschana (dawn of day). The name was borne by the Bactrian wife of Alexander the Great, which seems to substantiate the name's roots.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Roxanne? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Roxanne
- Comments and insights on the name Roxanne: | Edit
Roxanne can also be spelled Roxana, but said exactly the same.
- Personal experiences with the name Roxanne: | Edit
Often get sung "Roooooooooxxxxxaaaaaaaaane, you don't have to put on the red light!"
- Nicknames for Roxanne: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Roxanne: | Edit
Persian meaning "dawn."
- Famous real-life people named Roxanne: | Edit
Roxanne Pulitzer, center of scandal in the 1980s
Wife of Alexander the Great
- Roxanne in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Roxanne," 1978 hit song by The Police
Main character in "Cyrano de Bergerac"
"Roxanne," a 1987 film based on the Cyrano de Bergerac story, starring Darryl Hannah in the title role.
Character in "The Goofy Movie," the main character's love interest.
Nicolas Cage's love interest in the movie "Ghost Rider."
Roxanne/Tina Fey in Megamind