Sadie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Sadie:
Originally a pet form of Sarah (princess), Sadie is also bestowed as an independent given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sadie? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sadie
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan) 2014
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Nova Scotia) 2014
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Nova Scotia)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sadie
- Comments and insights on the name Sadie: | Edit
SADIE IS THE BEST NAME EVER!!!!!!!
Sadie is a beautiful modern version of Sarah.
Sadie is cute and quirky and so hot right now, all the cool hipsters call their girls Sadie.
If you like the name Sadie, you might want to look into the name Zadie (or Zaidee).
Sadie is a nickname for the name Sarah, as made famous by the wife of Abraham, mother of Issac, in the Bible.
- Personal experiences with the name Sadie: | Edit
I was born in 1986 when the name wasn't super-common, every other person I met either had a grandmother, elderly mother by the name. I have always gotten cooed over how ok my name is... however, coming from a Sadie who had it when it wasn't super-common, it's strange to see it starting to rise in the top name lists.
My friend, whose name is Sarah Adelaide, gets called Sadie a lot. I think it's the best name ever!!!
My daughter's name is Sadie Olyvia. She's 5. I chose it because of it's ties to the name Sarah, . She's my only girl, and was a fitting meaning for her, but I wanted to avoid Sarah (I know several, including family members) so Sadie won. I've never met another Sadie, . I guess it's not very popular here. I love her name, and so does she. Though I want to punch people in the face when they mispronounce it. Honestly, how does one see the name Sadie and think it says "Saw-dee" or "Sah-dee"?!?! *facepalm*
- Nicknames for Sadie: | Edit
Sader tot, Sadie Lady, Sadie Bug, Sad, Sadie Mae, Sadie Sue, Sadie Sunshine
Sade, Sades, Sadia
- Meanings and history of the name Sadie: | Edit
Pre- women's lib, Sadie Hawkins Day was the day when girls invited boys on dates.
- Famous real-life people named Sadie: | Edit
Sadie Sink, american actress, singer and model, known for portraying Max in Stranger Things.
Sadie Frost, English actress
Sadie Benning, American video maker, visual artist, and musician
Sadie Peterson Delaney, American librarian who pioneered bibliotherapy
Sadie Miller, English actress
Sadie Plant, English author and philosopher.
** Susan Atkins: "Sadie Mae Glutz" of the Charles Manson killings. AKA: "Sexy Sadie"
Sadie Sandler, Daughter of Adam Sandler.
- Sadie in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Sexy Sadie", a song by the Beatles
Two songs by the British band Suede, "Sadie" and "The Sound of the Streets" mention a girl with this name
"Sadie the Cleaning Lady", a song by Australian singer John Farnham
"Sadie Sadie, Married Lady", character and song from the movie Funny Girl
"Sadie", Joanna Newsom
"Sadie", a song by The Spinners
"Sadie Hawkin's Dance", a song by Relient K
"Angus and Sadie" children's book about brother sister border collies who look out for each other..
Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years, Book 1, The Tournament at Gorlan has a small folk song that references someone named Sadie.
"Sadie", a song by Alkaline Trio
"What Sadie Sang" is a children's book by Eve Rice.
Sadie Harris, character on the TV series "Grey's Anatomy", played by Melissa George
Sadie Shelton, character in the 1988 movie "Big Business", played by Bette Midler
Sadie Jones, character in the 2007 movie "License to Wed", played by Mandy Moore
Sadie, one of the daughters in the 2007 movie "Knocked Up", played by Maude Apatow.
Sadie King, character in the UK television series Emmerdale
Sadie Lloyd, character in the UK television series Family Affair
Sadie McKee, title character in the eponymous 1934 film
In the comic strip "Li'l Abner", Sadie Hawkins was the daughter of one of Dogpatch's earliest settlers, Hekzebiah Hawkins. She was known as "the homeliest gal in all them hills". When she reached the age of 35, in desperation, her father called together all the unmarried men of Dogpatch and declared it "Sadie Hawkins Day". Specifically, a foot race was decreed, with Sadie in hot pursuit of the town's eligible bachelors - and matrimony as the consequence.
Miss Sadie McGee Who Lived in a Tree, childrens book
Sadie - song remade by R. Kelly
Sadie Kane, main protagonist in children's book The Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan
Sadie Robertson - Duck Dynasty A&E
"Little Sadie", murder ballad sung by Doc Watson and other various artists