Sandra: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Sandra
Origin of the name Sandra:
A short form of Alexandra or Cassandra, Sandra is now commonly bestowed as an independent given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sandra? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sandra
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Estonian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Estonia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sandra
- Comments and insights on the name Sandra: | Edit
Andras and Sandra are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Sandra: | Edit
My mother's name is Sandra and she was born in the early 60's. My grandfather pronounces is Sahn-druh while everyone else says San-druh. My uncle calls her San and her close friends and close coworkers call her Sandy.
My sister's name is Sandra, she was named after my mother's doll. My grandmother tried to get my mom to name her Alexandra, saying Sandra was only a nickname, but my Mom wouldn't listen. She regrets it now, and urges my sister to have it legally changed. My sister has been called Sandy all of her life.
- Nicknames for Sandra: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Sandra: | Edit
Can be used as a short form of Alexandra, Alessandra, or Cassandra as well as on its own as an independent name. Also can be written - Xandra
- Famous real-life people named Sandra: | Edit
Sandra Bullock, American actress
Sandra Dee, American actress
Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman appointed to the United States Supreme Court.
Sandra Fluke, American women's rights activist.
- Sandra in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee", song in Grease.