Saoirse Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Saoirse? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Saoirse
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Saoirse
- Comments and insights on the name Saoirse: | Edit
Saoirse is a beautiful, uncommon, luminous name for a baby girl. Pronounced Seer-shuh.
- Personal experiences with the name Saoirse: | Edit
This name is growing in popularity in the US. Since giving my daughter this name I have come across 6 other little girls named Saoirse. Sair-Sha does seem to be a more popular pronounciation then Seer-Sha. Though I have been told that even in Ireland the pronounciation varies depending on the area.
We have a three year old daughter called Saoirse, we really adore her & we think the name suits her 100%, the common abbreviations seem to be 'Sersh' or 'Search', and the only concern we have with the name is the strong republican connection/connotation, which we were were blissfully unaware of when we named her!
We still love the name though )
- Nicknames for Saoirse: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Saoirse: | Edit
Meaning: Freedom, liberty.
- Famous real-life people named Saoirse: | Edit
Saoirse Ronan - Irish actress
Saoirse Roisin Hill - Robert Kennedy's granddaughter
- Saoirse in song, story & screen: | Edit
The movie "Song of the Sea" the main character is a little girl named Saoirse.