Sarah: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Sarah
Origin of the name Sarah:
Derived from the Hebrew sārāh (princess). The name is borne in the Bible by the wife of the patriarch Abraham and mother of Isaac.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sarah? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sarah
- Comments and insights on the name Sarah: | Edit
My name is Sarah and it is so popular. I hate it, so i started going by Sari. (Sar-ee) or if your spanish Sarita, just so i could change it up a bit and not be one of the seven sarahs in my english class. If you truly enjoy the name Sarah, maybe go for an alternative like Sarai or Sierra or let her go by her middle name. Chances are she will get frustrated when someone calls out Sarah and everyone turns their heads. I love unique names, and if i could i would change my name.
My name is Sarah Jane, and I also found my name to be completely boring. At school there were seven other Sarah's two of them being Sarah Jane. When I got married my husbands niece was also named Sarah Jane, now we have the exact same name, let's just say her mother isn't happy, I guess that's what happens when you have such a common name. A nice variation would be Sabra or Sarina.
A very beautiful woman. Too beautiful for words. Shes absolutely stunning and perfect in every way. Her beauty will never be matched. Everything about her is beautiful. She has too many great features to name all at once, but her tummy is one of the cutest things in the world. At the same time, her hair is just gorgeous. Also, she has a cutest nose in the world. There are too many features to name. Shes very strong and independent. She will always have you smiling and keep you laughing. Shes just so silly. I don't know anyone that I care about more than her. Shes truly an original. I would fight for her. I would die for her. Shes my heart, my soul, my existence. Shes my everything. Shes me best friend in the entire world and I wouldn't rather anyone else to take her place. Shes the sweetest girl with a voice that could end a war with just one sentence. I tell her everything. Either good news or bad news, shes always there to support me. Shes knows everything about me and I know everything about her. All I want to do is make her happy. Even the image of her sad breaks my heart. Shes not the type of girl that you just pick up at a bar and bring home. She'll enchant you in every way possible. She'll leave imprints on your heart that will never go away. We've had too many wonderful memories to count. I never stop thinking about her. I love her. I love everything about her. Ive never been happier. There will never be another girl like her, trust me. Shes perfect.
Guy - Hey man, you know Sarah? What's she like?
Me - ...oh don't get me started
My name is Sarah, and I always hated it. First of all when I was born, Sarah was the 4th most popular name
At the time. I hated whenever someone would say my name, five other girls would turn their heads. Also, it's
Not really a name that you can go by a nickname if there is more then one Sarah ( I.e. Jennifer, Jenn)
Now that Im older, I go by my middle name, Beth, and I like it a lot better. When I was growing up my mother
Would never let me go by my middle name. Overall, I think Sarah IS a pretty name, I wouldn't change it, but if
You do want to name you daughter Sarah, please be open to letting her go by a middle name, because it's hard
To be one of 5 Sarah's in your class always :)
My name is Sarah. I'm 29 now and I agree the name is way over used. I would change to my middle name but i hate it (Ruth). I was named after Sarah in the bible and the name means "Gods Princess" not just Princess. Also I looked up what her name meant before it was changed from Sarai oddly enough it means quarrelsome. Totally fits me. =)... I did not torture my daughter with name. Her name is Tru after the TV Show "Tru Calling" I love her name... I hope she loves it also
My name is Sarah and I agree the H is very important to Sarah's; in meeting other Sara's I find it is equally important to them that their name be spelled without the "H" and they feel it is better that way! Ha. Love it when my family calls me "Sari" ( Sar"ee")
Feminine name, love that it means princess. I don't run across *too* many Sarah's. I used to feel the name was too common, but it could be worse; my name could be Ashley or Jessica
I do not agree that Sayruh is a legit pronunciation.
I do-- in other countries.
My grandmother pronounced my name "Sayruh", it reminds me of her when people say it like that.
"Sayruh" is a southern way to pronounce Sarah.
My name is Sarah and I love my H. It looks so much better spelled that way, IMO.
Sarah, sounds soft and gentle with an "h" seems more sophisticated
I agree, Sara looks really weird
A British woman named Sarah told me that without the "h," Sara would be pronounced "Sahra" in England.
I think Sarah is a lovely sounding name. In fact, I love having it as my name, that is, until, I ended up in a class with four other Sarah's. Not so lovely.
- Personal experiences with the name Sarah: | Edit
We named our daughter Sarah in honor or my grandmother Sara. We chose the more Biblical spelling because we thought it would be more intuitive, but everyone asks how to spell it!
I also love that it means Princess!
When I say my name is "Sarah with an H" people think I mean Sahra!?! How weird is that?
I've been stuck in a class with three other Sara(h)s before. It's not great having a popular name, but I've finally gotten used to it.
I changed my name legally to Sarah from Sally at the age of 38, and I am really pleased I did. I think Sarah is a lovely but unpretentious name, and I feel very comfortable with it.
My mother named me Sarah after "Sarah, Plain and Tall." I used to think it was too plain, but I like it now. Recently I was in a community theatre show with two other people with my name, but we all spelled it differently. We were "Sarah," "Sara," and "Sarrah." My brother sometimes shortens my name to "Sayr" but I hate it when he does that.
I'm 14 and my name (as well as my best friends name) is Sarah. When I was younger I hated it because I thought it was common and boring but now I love it! It's feminine,cute, and classy. My mom calls me Sarah-Bear and my friend Caroline and I call each other Sarr-Bear and Carr-Bear. It means "princess, which I loved when I was little.
My middle name is Sarah (full name is Jasmine Sarah Lilian) and I love it. I've only ever come across one other Sarah, who was a year older than me, when I was two or three. I think it's a beautiful name - here in Britain, we pronounce Sara as 'Sahra', and I dislike it both pronounced and spelt that way. So, yah, a nice name! :D
- Nicknames for Sarah: | Edit
SARAH BREMNER AND SARAH BEAN XOXO OV DARLO
Sally, Sadie, Sal, Sai, Sare, Sasa, Sassy, Sarie, Sa, Sar, Sarah Bean, Bean, Sar Bear, Sissy, Sarar, Ra/Rah, Sari
Sare Bear, Bear
- Meanings and history of the name Sarah: | Edit
Sarah: Princess. Biblical.
Sarah, mother of all nations
- Famous real-life people named Sarah: | Edit
Sarah Michelle Geller - American actress
Sarah Jessica Parker - American actress
Sarah Silverman - American comedian and actress
Sarah Chen - Taiwanese singer
Sarah McLachlan - American singer
Sarah Bolger - Irish actress
Sarah Dessen - American writer
Sarah Hughes - American figure skater
Sarah Bernhardt - French actress from the 1870's
Sarah Murdoch- Australian model and daughter inlaw of Rupert Murdoch
Sarah O'Sullivan - Ceramic Artist
Sarah Palin - US politician; former Governor of Alaska
Sarah Blasko - Australian Singer
Sarah Ferguson - Mother of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
Sarah Margaret Qualley, daughter of American actress Andie MacDowell
- Sarah in song, story & screen: | Edit
Sarah Connor, a character in the Terminator franchise, portayed in James Cameron's films by Linda Hamilton and by Lena Headey in the Fox television adaptation
Sarah "Mac" MacKenzie, a lead character on American television drama J.A.G.
Sarah Jane Smith, a lead character on British television series Doctor Who and later the spinoff series, "The Sarah Jane Adventures"
Sarah Witting, the title character of Patricia McLachlan's 1986 children's book Sarah, Plain and Tall, and the 1994 sequel Skylark
"Sarah", song by Jefferson Starship
Sarah, from the Canadian duet Teagan and Sarah
Sarah is the lead character in the David Bowie film the Labrinth.
Sarah is the name of the triceratops in the Steven Speilberg animation The Land Before Time
"Sarah Smiles", song by Panic! at the Disco
"Sarah, Sarah", song by Jonathan Butler
"Sarah", song by Thin Lizzy
"Sarah", song by Eskimo Joe
"What Sarah Said", song by Death Cab for Cutie
Sarah Woodruff, heroine of John Fowles' novel "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and the subsequent film starring Meryl Streep in the title role.
Sarah Connolly Sugden, character in British TV soap opera "Emmerdale", played by Madeleine Howard (1988-1994) & Alyson Spiro (1994-2000).
"Sara Smile", song by Hall and Oats
Sarah, from A Little Princess
Sarah Lewis, in the 1999 film "Forces of Nature"
Name Lists Featuring Sarah
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands
- Israeli Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in Israel
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010