Sarah Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Sarah:
Derived from the Hebrew sārāh (princess). The name is borne in the Bible by the wife of the patriarch Abraham and mother of Isaac.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sarah? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sarah
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German)
- Israeli Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in Israel
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (German), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Nova Scotia)
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders) 2012
- Dutch Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in The Netherlands 2012
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria 2012
- Bosnian Herzegovinian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Bosnia Herzegovinia
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sarah
- Comments and insights on the name Sarah: | Edit
Rasha, Sahar and Sarah are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
My name is Sarah and I absolutely hate when people spell it without an H, I feel like it's not finished yet and someone just stopped writing it. Whenever I say sarah with an h people don't understand what I'm saying. I've always wanted a nickname but now that I'm older I feel like it will be hard to get used to for everyone including me. Also if I wanted to go by my middle name which is Nicole, I can't because my mom, 2 cousins, all three grandmas, all 5 of my grandmas sisters etc. are all named Nicolette so it would just add to the list of confusion. (Yes I know that many Nicolette's is ridiculous but they were all named after someone and everyone wanted to name their daughter after another family member but my mom wanted to.change it up a bit). Growing up there was always so many Sarah's everywhere I went, I played on a soccer team with 4 other Sarah's and everyone someone would yell to pass the ball, all Sarah's heads would turn because no one knew which one was wanted. My grandmothers sister always pronounced my name "Sierra" and it always bothered me.
People should not call anyone named sarah "sa-yruh or Sara" etc. because it's just disrespectful to the person whose name is "Sarah" and pronounced "Sa-rah" which honestly flows beautifully. And yes I don't hate the name I think it's pretty. I got my name after my dad went to the beach one day and met a little girl named Sarah and her dad while they were fishing and he loved it.
A very beautiful woman. Too beautiful for words. Shes absolutely stunning and perfect in every way. Her beauty will never be matched. Everything about her is beautiful. She has too many great features to name all at once, but her tummy is one of the cutest things in the world. At the same time, her hair is just gorgeous. Also, she has a cutest nose in the world. There are too many features to name. Shes very strong and independent. She will always have you smiling and keep you laughing. Shes just so silly. I don't know anyone that I care about more than her. Shes truly an original. I would fight for her. I would die for her. Shes my heart, my soul, my existence. Shes my everything. Shes me best friend in the entire world and I wouldn't rather anyone else to take her place. Shes the sweetest girl with a voice that could end a war with just one sentence. I tell her everything. Either good news or bad news, shes always there to support me. Shes knows everything about me and I know everything about her. All I want to do is make her happy. Even the image of her sad breaks my heart. Shes not the type of girl that you just pick up at a bar and bring home. She'll enchant you in every way possible. She'll leave imprints on your heart that will never go away. We've had too many wonderful memories to count. I never stop thinking about her. I love her. I love everything about her. Ive never been happier. There will never be another girl like her, trust me. Shes perfect.
Guy - Hey man, you know Sarah? What's she like?
Me - ...oh don't get me started
My name is Sarah and I agree the H is very important to Sarah's; in meeting other Sara's I find it is equally important to them that their name be spelled without the "H" and they feel it is better that way! Ha. Love it when my family calls me "Sari" ( Sar"ee")
Feminine name, love that it means princess. I don't run across *too* many Sarah's. I used to feel the name was too common, but it could be worse; my name could be Ashley or Jessica
I do not agree that Sayruh is a legit pronunciation.
I do-- in other countries.
My grandmother pronounced my name "Sayruh", it reminds me of her when people say it like that.
"Sayruh" is a southern way to pronounce Sarah.
My name is Sarah and I love my H. It looks so much better spelled that way, IMO.
Sarah, sounds soft and gentle with an "h" seems more sophisticated
I agree, Sara looks really weird
A British woman named Sarah told me that without the "h," Sara would be pronounced "Sahra" in England.
I think Sarah is a lovely sounding name. In fact, I love having it as my name, that is, until, I ended up in a class with four other Sarah's. Not so lovely.
So yeah, it's a common name.. but it's a pretty name. My great great paternal grandmother's name was Sarah. I also like that it's biblical. I love that it means princess because my husband's name is Israel and it means prince :)
My name is Sarah and I agree that it is quite popular but I love it especially because of the song Sarah smiles by Panic! at the disco, I love that one of my favourite bands has a song with my name in it. I guess that's one of the pluses of having a common name, even if he wrote the song about his wife it makes me happy whenever I hear it.
My name is Sarah. I know it's a pretty name, but it was used way too often in the 80s when I was born. Every class I was in at church or school there were 2 or 3 Sarah's or Sara's. That made the name feel very boring to me. I was always compared to other Sara/Sarah's. "Sarahs are always ___". People would tell me it's a pretty name, but I never felt that it was because I have always been caught up in how it is just way too common. I even dated a guy for many years who had a dog named Sarah. Meeting his mom was interesting. We were teenagers, I was at his home for the first time meeting his mom. He failed to tell me the dog's name was Sarah. All I heard was his mom saying "take Sarah outside before she pisses and shits everywhere". I was very confused. Who names a dog Sarah anyway? It is annoying to hear your manager talk about "Sarah" and there is another Sarah that sits two rows down. If someone calls her name I look up and get annoyed because I was interrupted for nothing. The name is just too common. Give your child a special name.
Sarah is just too gorgeous. It is hand down my favourite name of all time, absolutely BEAUTIFUL. :-)
- Personal experiences with the name Sarah: | Edit
We named our daughter Sarah in honor or my grandmother Sara. We chose the more Biblical spelling because we thought it would be more intuitive, but everyone asks how to spell it!
I also love that it means Princess!
When I say my name is "Sarah with an H" people think I mean Sahra!?! How weird is that?
I've been stuck in a class with three other Sara(h)s before. It's not great having a popular name, but I've finally gotten used to it.
I changed my name legally to Sarah from Sally at the age of 38, and I am really pleased I did. I think Sarah is a lovely but unpretentious name, and I feel very comfortable with it.
My name is Sarah and I hate it. I do. It's pretty yes, but it makes me want a nickname and there isn't really one. I want to go by something different and my middle name is Michele but I've been 'just Sarah' for so long that I don't know how to do a nickname. That sounds weird and I think I'll just start to go by Sarah Michele (my middle name).
^You're a disgrace to Sarahs.
My mother named me Sarah after "Sarah, Plain and Tall." I used to think it was too plain, but I like it now. Recently I was in a community theatre show with two other people with my name, but we all spelled it differently. We were "Sarah," "Sara," and "Sarrah." My brother sometimes shortens my name to "Sayr" but I hate it when he does that.
I'm 14 and my name (as well as my best friends name) is Sarah. When I was younger I hated it because I thought it was common and boring but now I love it! It's feminine,cute, and classy. My mom calls me Sarah-Bear and my friend Caroline and I call each other Sarr-Bear and Carr-Bear. It means "princess, which I loved when I was little.
Note to above, My name is Caroline and my daughter's name is Sarah. Caroline and Sarah apparently do well with each other :)
My middle name is Sarah (full name is Jasmine Sarah Lilian) and I love it. I've only ever come across one other Sarah, who was a year older than me, when I was two or three. I think it's a beautiful name - here in Britain, we pronounce Sara as 'Sahra', and I dislike it both pronounced and spelt that way. So, yah, a nice name! :D
My sister's name is Sarah, and even though it's a pretty common name it has never seemed to bother her, though she's the kind of person who likes to look at the positives. and I totally agree with the H being important, the name looks incomplete without it, that seems to be the only thing that bothers my sister, when people spell her name and leave out the H. my parent's did something pretty neat though, they gave her a lovely, simple, albeit common first name but a beautiful and unique middle name so every one in my house just calls her Sarah Mattea, Which is pronounced (Mah-Tay-Ah) I think that the unique middle name really helps her not hate her common first name.
I know a few Sarah's. One's middle name is Joyce I think. It is one of the many favorites of mine.
- Nicknames for Sarah: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Sarah: | Edit
Origin: Hebrew 'Sarai'
Meaning: Princess, noble, mother of all nations
- Famous real-life people named Sarah: | Edit
Sarah Michelle Geller - American actress
Sarah Jessica Parker - American actress
Sarah Silverman - American comedian and actress
Sarah Chen - Taiwanese singer
Sarah McLachlan - American singer
Sarah Bolger - Irish actress
Sarah Dessen - American writer
Sarah Hughes - American figure skater
Sarah Geronimo - Filipino singer, also known as Popstar Princess
Sarah Bernhardt - French actress from the 1870's
Sarah Murdoch- Australian model and daughter inlaw of Rupert Murdoch
Sarah O'Sullivan - Ceramic Artist
Sarah Palin - US politician; former Governor of Alaska
Sarah Blasko - Australian Singer
Sarah Ferguson - Mother of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie
Sarah Margaret Qualley, daughter of American actress Andie MacDowell
Sarah Richardson, Canadian television personality, featured on HGTV's Sarah's House
Sarah Urie, wife of Panic! At The Disco singer Brendon Urie
- Sarah in song, story & screen: | Edit
Sarah Connor, a character in the Terminator franchise, portayed in James Cameron's films by Linda Hamilton and by Lena Headey in the Fox television adaptation
Sarah "Mac" MacKenzie, a lead character on American television drama J.A.G.
Sarah Jane Smith, a lead character on British television series Doctor Who and later the spinoff series, "The Sarah Jane Adventures"
Sarah Witting, the title character of Patricia McLachlan's 1986 children's book Sarah, Plain and Tall, and the 1994 sequel Skylark
"Sarah", song by Jefferson Starship
Sarah, from the Canadian duet Teagan and Sarah
Sarah is the lead character in the David Bowie film the Labrinth.
Sarah is the name of the triceratops in the Steven Speilberg animation The Land Before Time
Sarah McGee is the name of Timothy McGee's sister on NCIS
"Sarah Smiles", song by Panic! at the Disco
"Sarah, Sarah", song by Jonathan Butler
"Sarah", song by Thin Lizzy
"Sarah", song by Eskimo Joe
"What Sarah Said", song by Death Cab for Cutie
Sarah Woodruff, heroine of John Fowles' novel "The French Lieutenant's Woman" and the subsequent film starring Meryl Streep in the title role.
Sarah Connolly Sugden, character in British TV soap opera "Emmerdale", played by Madeleine Howard (1988-1994) & Alyson Spiro (1994-2000).
"Sara Smile", song by Hall and Oats
Sarah, from A Little Princess
Sarah Lewis, in the 1999 film "Forces of Nature"
"Calling Sarah" a song by Jellyfish
"Sara" a song by Fleetwood Mac
"Sara's Mask" a song by CKY
"Sarah Smiles" by Panic! At The Disco (one of my favorites :D )
Sarah Hart is a character in the Lorien Legacies series.
Sarah Carpenter from The Little House series